Trap ant colony that's in my house

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

Ladysphinx

Trap ant colony that's in my house

Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:21 am

Hi guys. I was planning a ant colony and was still doing research on were to get a ant queen. Well guess what, a whole ant colony setup camp under one of my fish tank buckets. I need urgent advice on how to trap them and get them setup. Please help because if I can't trap them I'll need to get rid of them by other means and I don't want to do that

Ladysphinx

Re: Trap ant colony that's in my house

Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:49 am

Guys the nest went bust because I accidentally disturbed them. I caught three Queens in separate tubes and have a lot if worker ants trap in a container with Vaseline smeared on the rim to keep them from escaping. Can anyone please advise asap

lossanmu

Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:29 pm

Could you provide some pictures. Are you sure those are the queens and not for the nuptials flights that is happening now?

Jadeninja9

Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:59 pm

If what you have are the egg laying queens of the colony, then go ahead and dump them into an outworld with a nest that's connected to the outworld. Eventually they'll find the nest and get situated.
Keeper of:
Camponotus Hyatti
Founding:
10x Lasius alienus queens

Ladysphinx

Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:41 am

I took them and put thrm in thr out house at this time the nest is a container with some soil with a piece of perspex on top. The ants took the few egg that was there and made a nest under it. Only obe "queen" survived it seems. The ants seems to be grooming her. I added a dead cockroach and a tube with glucose water. They were all over the tube after a few minutes. Hopefully this will work out

Ladysphinx

Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:34 am

I'm struggling to get a nice clear picture of these ants as they are rather small. I can see new eggs in their nest. The ants are black, shiny and about 3 or 4 mm in length. We know them as comnon black ants in South Africa the queen is less shine then the worker and dubble the size.

Jadeninja9

Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:55 am

Oh dude nice
Keeper of:
Camponotus Hyatti
Founding:
10x Lasius alienus queens