Terrarium set up

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

DARKKID1000

Terrarium set up

Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:05 pm

So I just got a Carpenter queen, I was planning on converting a Aquarium to a Terrarium for them, My only issue is IDK if carpenter ants can use the 90 degree angles to climb out (being i lost the lid)

I was going to have a potted dirt filler on the bottom a wooden log (bought at pet store ment for small reptiles to climb and slightly hollow for them to hide but mostly solid.) some plants for ascetics, and possibly some other critters to form a mini biome.

So questions is. are they able to climb the 90 degree angles? if they are if i cub the angles with tubing or something would that help? And is there any advice for me being that I learned in a brief research they nest in both logs and dirt.

AntsLuxembourg

Re: Terrarium set up

Mon Dec 20, 2021 7:46 am

You can apply a baby powder barrier on the top part of the aquarium. Depending on the size, you might be able to get a special lid with glass and mesh to be able to observe the ants and provide enough airflow for them.
At the Antstore in Berlin you can find some sizes. For the corners you will have to make sure to put a thick layer of baby powder over parts of the silicon otherwise the ants will use it to climb out.
Doing some proper research is the best way to start an antcolony.

Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

Currently not keeping any ants anymore.