Wood founding setup space.

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

HrdWodFlor

Wood founding setup space.

Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:45 am

Hello,
I have a block of walnut that I want to use to build a wood founding chamber. I understand that ants like smaller spaces (correct me if I'm wrong). My question is how deep should I make the chamber into the block of wood if I am raising a Camponotus colony? Is this even something that matters? I imagine that a deeper chamber gives more room for the colony to grow before having to be transferred. But a shallower chamber might make them feel as snug as a bug in a rug. Or am I overethinking the whole thing?

averagebilly

Re: Wood founding setup space.

Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:49 pm

If I were creating a wood cholesterol cell, I would just cut a thin layer of wood (about 1.5cm) and put that in between two panes of glass. Then, add the queen and let her burrow into it on her own. Once the colony need expansion, they will excavate more rooms.
"Ant Love Forever" - Mikey Bustos

averagebilly

Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:52 am

Also, you should make sure to keep the wood block partially moist so that the queen may decide where to start her colony.
"Ant Love Forever" - Mikey Bustos

Delphie

Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:51 pm

Walnut is going to be pretty tough chewing. They usually like softer wood, like something with dry rot.