Outworld Plants

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

Will230145

Outworld Plants

Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:39 am

I was wondering what plants I should use for my outworld?
Keeper of:
Camponotus Pensilvanicus
Founding: Lasius Neoniger
Lasius Claviger
Formica subsericea

ACaseoftheMondays

Re: Outworld Plants

Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:41 pm

Unless you have a fully natural setup, you shouldn't use real plants. The only exception might be air plants (Tillandsia)https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tillandsia. The problem is that you don't want to add any moisture to your outworld, lest the ants move into it. I've heard of some people using succulents or cacti, but I can't speak to that.
Founding:
Pogonomyrmex Occidentalis
Solenopsis Molesta
Formica Argentea
Lasius Flavus
Colonies:
Tetramorium sp.E

Jadeninja9

Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:50 pm

ACaseoftheMondays wrote:
Unless you have a fully natural setup, you shouldn't use real plants. The only exception might be air plants (Tillandsia)https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tillandsia. The problem is that you don't want to add any moisture to your outworld, lest the ants move into it. I've heard of some people using succulents or cacti, but I can't speak to that.
You could do a fully natural setup with moist dirt if you have a Camponotus colony that nests in wood right?
Keeper of:
1x Camponotus Hyatti
1x Lasius alienus colonies
1x Tetramorium immigrans

Will230145

Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:57 pm

Ok thanks, I think I will go with fully natural outworld.
Keeper of:
Camponotus Pensilvanicus
Lasius Claviger
Formica subsericea

KSkuroooari

Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:59 pm

Jadeninja9 wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:50 pm
ACaseoftheMondays wrote:
You could do a fully natural setup with moist dirt if you have a Camponotus colony that nests in wood right?
Just a note, though, when we first captured our Camponotus queens, we temporarily put them in a empty 6lb honey jar, filled halfway with soil (this was also before my son told me about the awesome things that Mikey at AntsCanada did with his) and one of the queens started burrowing tunnels. Later on, I accidentally squooshed her gaster trying to get her back in her vial after she escaped and unfortunately, she died. 😥 So, my only point being is that there may be a chance that Camponotus will nest in soil, too. Then again, maybe she wasn't a Camponotus. She died before we joined the forum so I never requested an ID for her.

Jadeninja9

Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:46 am

KSkuroooari wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:59 pm

Just a note, though, when we first captured our Camponotus queens, we temporarily put them in a empty 6lb honey jar, filled halfway with soil (this was also before my son told me about the awesome things that Mikey at AntsCanada did with his) and one of the queens started burrowing tunnels. Later on, I accidentally squooshed her gaster trying to get her back in her vial after she escaped and unfortunately, she died. 😥 So, my only point being is that there may be a chance that Camponotus will nest in soil, too. Then again, maybe she wasn't a Camponotus. She died before we joined the forum so I never requested an ID for her.
R.I.P. She could have also been a species of Camponotus that nests in dirt.
Keeper of:
1x Camponotus Hyatti
1x Tetramorium immigrans

Will230145

Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:47 am

Do you know if Campo. P. Nests in dirt? I also have a hybrid nest so I'm hoping the would pick that rather than the dirt, by the way my queen only has 5 workers in a test tube setup.
Keeper of:
Camponotus Pensilvanicus
Lasius Claviger
Formica subsericea

KSkuroooari

Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:06 pm

Jadeninja9 wrote:
Thanks. We lost two of the five that we had initially captured. Here's the only picture I had taken of her.

But getting back to the main topic, we have what's called wolf lichen here that grows on all the trees. I soaked some in rubbing alcohol to kill anything that could be on it so maybe something like that could be a possibility as well. I think the great thing about it is that you can soak it in water and it can act as a source of humidity.

Jadeninja9

Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:15 pm

KSkuroooari wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:06 pm
Jadeninja9 wrote:
Thanks. We lost two of the five that we had initially captured. Here's the only picture I had taken of her.

But getting back to the main topic, we have what's called wolf lichen here that grows on all the trees. I soaked some in rubbing alcohol to kill anything that could be on it so maybe something like that could be a possibility as well. I think the great thing about it is that you can soak it in water and it can act as a source of humidity.
I can't tell what the species is. Maybe try making a new post to identify it.
Keeper of:
1x Camponotus Hyatti
1x Tetramorium immigrans