Outworld Plants

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

Post Reply
Will230145
Posts: 35
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:06 am
Location: Grove City PA, US

Outworld Plants

Post: # 27607Post Will230145
Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:39 am

I was wondering what plants I should use for my outworld?
Keeper of:
Camponotus Pensilvanicus

User avatar
ACaseoftheMondays
Posts: 71
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:54 am
Location: Northern Colorado

Re: Outworld Plants

Post: # 27653Post ACaseoftheMondays
Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:41 pm

Unless you have a fully natural setup, you shouldn't use real plants. The only exception might be air plants (Tillandsia)https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tillandsia. The problem is that you don't want to add any moisture to your outworld, lest the ants move into it. I've heard of some people using succulents or cacti, but I can't speak to that.
Founding:
Pogonomyrmex Occidentalis
Solenopsis Molesta
Formica Argentea
Lasius Flavus
Colonies:
Tetramorium sp.E

User avatar
Jadeninja9
Posts: 486
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:00 pm
Location: SF Bay Area, California

Re: Outworld Plants

Post: # 27665Post Jadeninja9
Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:50 pm

ACaseoftheMondays wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:41 pm
Unless you have a fully natural setup, you shouldn't use real plants. The only exception might be air plants (Tillandsia)https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tillandsia. The problem is that you don't want to add any moisture to your outworld, lest the ants move into it. I've heard of some people using succulents or cacti, but I can't speak to that.
You could do a fully natural setup with moist dirt if you have a Camponotus colony that nests in wood right?
Keeper of:
Camponotus Hyatti
Founding:
10x Lasius alienus queens

Will230145
Posts: 35
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:06 am
Location: Grove City PA, US

Re: Outworld Plants

Post: # 27672Post Will230145
Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:57 pm

Ok thanks, I think I will go with fully natural outworld.
Keeper of:
Camponotus Pensilvanicus

KSkuroooari
Posts: 39
Joined: Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:36 pm
Location: Washington

Re: Outworld Plants

Post: # 27687Post KSkuroooari
Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:59 pm

Jadeninja9 wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:50 pm
ACaseoftheMondays wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:41 pm
Unless you have a fully natural setup, you shouldn't use real plants. The only exception might be air plants (Tillandsia)https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tillandsia. The problem is that you don't want to add any moisture to your outworld, lest the ants move into it. I've heard of some people using succulents or cacti, but I can't speak to that.
You could do a fully natural setup with moist dirt if you have a Camponotus colony that nests in wood right?
Just a note, though, when we first captured our Camponotus queens, we temporarily put them in a empty 6lb honey jar, filled halfway with soil (this was also before my son told me about the awesome things that Mikey at AntsCanada did with his) and one of the queens started burrowing tunnels. Later on, I accidentally squooshed her gaster trying to get her back in her vial after she escaped and unfortunately, she died. 😥 So, my only point being is that there may be a chance that Camponotus will nest in soil, too. Then again, maybe she wasn't a Camponotus. She died before we joined the forum so I never requested an ID for her.
Caring for Camponotus laevigatus and Camponotus modoc.
#antsloveforever 🐜💕

User avatar
Jadeninja9
Posts: 486
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:00 pm
Location: SF Bay Area, California

Re: Outworld Plants

Post: # 27688Post Jadeninja9
Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:46 am

KSkuroooari wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:59 pm

Just a note, though, when we first captured our Camponotus queens, we temporarily put them in a empty 6lb honey jar, filled halfway with soil (this was also before my son told me about the awesome things that Mikey at AntsCanada did with his) and one of the queens started burrowing tunnels. Later on, I accidentally squooshed her gaster trying to get her back in her vial after she escaped and unfortunately, she died. 😥 So, my only point being is that there may be a chance that Camponotus will nest in soil, too. Then again, maybe she wasn't a Camponotus. She died before we joined the forum so I never requested an ID for her.
R.I.P. She could have also been a species of Camponotus that nests in dirt.
Keeper of:
Camponotus Hyatti
Founding:
10x Lasius alienus queens

Will230145
Posts: 35
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:06 am
Location: Grove City PA, US

Re: Outworld Plants

Post: # 27713Post Will230145
Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:47 am

Do you know if Campo. P. Nests in dirt? I also have a hybrid nest so I'm hoping the would pick that rather than the dirt, by the way my queen only has 5 workers in a test tube setup.
Keeper of:
Camponotus Pensilvanicus

KSkuroooari
Posts: 39
Joined: Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:36 pm
Location: Washington

Re: Outworld Plants

Post: # 27772Post KSkuroooari
Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:06 pm

Jadeninja9 wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:46 am
R.I.P. She could have also been a species of Camponotus that nests in dirt.
Thanks. We lost two of the five that we had initially captured. Here's the only picture I had taken of her.

Image

But getting back to the main topic, we have what's called wolf lichen here that grows on all the trees. I soaked some in rubbing alcohol to kill anything that could be on it so maybe something like that could be a possibility as well. I think the great thing about it is that you can soak it in water and it can act as a source of humidity.
Caring for Camponotus laevigatus and Camponotus modoc.
#antsloveforever 🐜💕

User avatar
Jadeninja9
Posts: 486
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:00 pm
Location: SF Bay Area, California

Re: Outworld Plants

Post: # 27773Post Jadeninja9
Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:15 pm

KSkuroooari wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:06 pm
Jadeninja9 wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:46 am
R.I.P. She could have also been a species of Camponotus that nests in dirt.
Thanks. We lost two of the five that we had initially captured. Here's the only picture I had taken of her.

Image

But getting back to the main topic, we have what's called wolf lichen here that grows on all the trees. I soaked some in rubbing alcohol to kill anything that could be on it so maybe something like that could be a possibility as well. I think the great thing about it is that you can soak it in water and it can act as a source of humidity.
I can't tell what the species is. Maybe try making a new post to identify it.
Keeper of:
Camponotus Hyatti
Founding:
10x Lasius alienus queens

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 1 guest