Queen Setup - Will this work?

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

TheCrusader

Queen Setup - Will this work?

Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:12 am

I caught 3 queens and have each queen in a Jam/Jelly jar. In the jars there is dirt at the bottom and 2 of them have made a small hole near the glass so i can see them (Although I have no camera to take pics with). I watered the dirt when I put them in and they seem to be doing well. I was wondering is there are any problems with raising a colony starting in a jar instead of a test tube set up.

Jadeninja9

Re: Queen Setup - Will this work?

Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:32 am

Should be fine as long as there are holes in the lid. You should apply a barrier at the top so when she gets workers they can't escape when you wanna open the lid.
Keeper of:
Camponotus Hyatti
Founding:
10x Lasius alienus queens

TheCrusader

Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:32 pm

I also noticed one of the queens tries to get out while the other two have made their own burrows. Should I let her go in case she's not fertilized?

Cartil

Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:47 pm

I am just starting too, but from what I heard, it does not mean she is not fertilized. She might just be stressed but will lay eggs after a while.