Homemade test tube and formicarium setups

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

Antsinohio

Homemade test tube and formicarium setups

Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:23 pm

I want to see what homemade test tube and formicarium setups you make so i will have ideas on formicariums and test tube setups i could make for my ants

idahoantgirl

Re: Homemade test tube and formicarium setups

Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:33 pm

Antsinohio wrote:
I want to see what homemade test tube and formicarium setups you make so i will have ideas on formicariums and test tube setups i could make for my ants
you can watch mikey bustos's video he made on this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zs8RRsF9TM
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile

Jadeninja9

Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:55 pm

This is a test tube portal I made. I took a small plastic Tupperware and drilled a hole in the side to put the test tube in, and a hole in the lid so so they could breathe. In hindsight, I would have drilled another hole on the opposite side, so if I needed to, I could connect another test tube to it, or some tubing.
I had to put that cotton there since the hole was too big, and I didn't want the ants escaping.
Keeper of:
1x Camponotus Hyatti
1x Lasius alienus colonies
1x Tetramorium immigrans

Kibs76

Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:20 pm

Antsinohio wrote:
I am new to this whole ant colony stuff but i have watched and caught myself up on most of the Ants Fam videos and I saw in one of the videos they used a Rose holder thing that keeps roses fresh. I used that for two days till my glass test tubes came in this morning. Moved my two queens into the glass test tubes this morning with my other three.

The one on the left is the current glass test tubes I am using for my first 5 queens. The one in the middle is actually the rose bud thing that i had in my house as a holder till I got the glass ones. Which the glass ones i got 10 for 10 or so on amazon. then the vial holders. I got a set of 30 of those for 10 again off amazon. Not sure if this helps on what I have. Its just starter stuff and what I chose to use.

xTNxANTMANx

Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:27 am

I have a thread on a homemade test tube portal I make that's very cheap and effective. I'll see if I can post the link here for you...

I will have to repost it because of Photobucket. They changed their membership stuff and my pictures aren't showing anymore but I will fix it and post it again for you.
Keeping:
Camponotus subbarbatus
Formica pallidefulva x2
Formica subsericea x4
Lasius sp
Tetramorium immigrans x2
Dorymyrmex bureni

Founding:
Formica pallidefulva
Unknown sp x2