Formicarium plants

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

Dandroid

Formicarium plants

Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:03 pm

Can anyone attest to any certain outworld plants working out well? Like, any myrmecophytes, bonsai trees, herbs, epiphytes, succulents, grasses, fungi, type things, especially with crematogaster?

JackPayne

Re: Formicarium plants

Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:13 pm

I've heard that air plants are good for formicarium...?
Hi I'm Jack, How are you?

Chomp231

Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:40 am

I use succulents, I have a few bonsai oak I'm working on (doesn't bonsai well in less kept in a outside setting I use my porch), clover (didn't mean for it to grow but I've kept it growing) I'm going to try wild straw berries next though I just got a odors house ant ant she has laid eggs and is doing well definitely a tough mom, I was thinking about trying blue berries with it I'll need to find smaller then I have a cut the tip of the tap root is my guess, I put all my plants on one side so I only water a small part the ants chose where to nest I also made it tilt to the side where the plants are and I've emptied dirt from the very end and plan on making a pond to put in my only functioning formacarium I have one huge one set up but I haven't had space for it or any ants I would want to stick in it.

Chomp231

Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:50 am

That was a lie sorry I have one other formicarium but I haven't even seen a ant in it for a while although I don't expect to the queen is subterranean I had to dig to get her and her workers and they hide under the dirt all the time and I haven't even fed them due to the fact of I don't know how they have succulents I will throw some sugar in with them but they have been moving tunnels this whole time so I'm assuming I grabbed some form of their food source too with them