Fluon + Aquarium silicone = escapees

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

brikhouse4

Fluon + Aquarium silicone = escapees

Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:54 pm

Just finished up a new outworld which I made from a 8.5 gal glass aquarium and the seams of the aquarium came sealed with silicone. I applied my usual fluon treatment which has worked fine for the last few years in various acrylic outworlds: fluon diluted 3:1, applied in two coats with a cotton ball in a 3 in strip all around the top of the tank. I wasn't sure if the fluon would work as well on the silicone seams so I was very careful to coat them thoroughly. Then I attached the hosing and watched my ants (camponotus modoc) flood in. A few tried going up the walls to no avail. I walked away for a few minutes and came back to find ants already on the top rim of the outworld and more were climbing up the silicone seam.

So my questions: Am I missing something in how I'm applying the fluon? Should I remove the silicone from the upper part of the tank so its just glass? Has anyone else had this problem?

My only thought is that the fluon is a couple years old at this point so maybe its losing its ability to create a barrier??

Any help is much appreciated.

Serafine

Re: Fluon + Aquarium silicone = escapees

Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:30 am

Put a frame on top of the basin and give fluon on that. There's almost no ants that can walk upside down on Fluon (except some army ants).

Batspiderfish

Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:04 am

Remember that Fluon needs to be rotated every couple of weeks (never shaken) so that the PTFE particles stay suspended.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

notmyidea

Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:21 am

I don't dilute my fluon but I find that I have to apply a very thin coat for it to work. If it's too thick, the ants can climb it.