Bark formicarium??

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

idahoantgirl

Bark formicarium??

Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:21 pm

SO, I was looking at pictures of formicaria, And I thought I'd ask you guys about bark formicaria. The pictures look really cool, I was just wondering about hydration, and how to clean the bark to make sure it's safe.
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile

Aquaexploder

Re: Bark formicarium??

Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:36 am

I have heard that things like bark and cork make great formicariums for Camponotus since that is usually where they tend to make their nests in the wild. I have heard also that hydration is great since the wood sucks up the moister, but you need to be careful not to overwater it in the same area because they are very prone to mold. As to the whether or not the bark is safe I would recommend getting this bark from trees that have minimal sap so it is easier to clean. Also you don't need to but you should collect it from dead trees because they have had more time to dry out. If you happen to collect bark from living trees I would recommend that you leave it out for about the whole summer to let the bark dry out.
Founding:

Crematogaster (2X)

Lasius Neoniger (2X)

idahoantgirl

Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:59 am

Aquaexploder wrote:
I have heard that things like bark and cork make great formicariums for Camponotus since that is usually where they tend to make their nests in the wild. I have heard also that hydration is great since the wood sucks up the moister, but you need to be careful not to overwater it in the same area because they are very prone to mold. As to the whether or not the bark is safe I would recommend getting this bark from trees that have minimal sap so it is easier to clean. Also you don't need to but you should collect it from dead trees because they have had more time to dry out. If you happen to collect bark from living trees I would recommend that you leave it out for about the whole summer to let the bark dry out.
So, how would yo hydrate it?
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile

Aquaexploder

Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:21 pm

idahoantgirl wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:59 am
Aquaexploder wrote:
So, how would yo hydrate it?
You could wet a sponge or find some other way to moisten the wood.
Founding:

Crematogaster (2X)

Lasius Neoniger (2X)