Where to Find Outworld containers

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

AntsAreAwesome

Where to Find Outworld containers

Sun May 28, 2017 7:43 pm

So I need an outworld container that I good for ants. I have not been able to find anything (online or in store) that has a gasket (or sealed decently well), clear, and tall enough for a barrier and some viewing area. What do you guys use, or would suggest using that is online or in a store that is pretty much everywhere? (Besides aquarium tanks)

Martialis

Re: Where to Find Outworld containers

Sun May 28, 2017 7:44 pm

Your local grocery could work. Also, look up the container store.
Keeper of

Selliing:

JackPayne

Sun May 28, 2017 8:41 pm

Glass tanks found in Aquariums or pet shops do well, also I haven't used these myself but I have heard of specifically designed containers t house crickets could be used.
Hi I'm Jack, How are you?

AntsAreAwesome

Sun May 28, 2017 9:29 pm

Martialis wrote:
I went to my local place and the cheapest one that somewhat meets my standards (besides the height) was $12 :| ...is that considered to be reasonable and/or cheap?
Last edited by AntsAreAwesome on Sun May 28, 2017 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AntsAreAwesome

Sun May 28, 2017 9:31 pm

JackPayne wrote:
Glass tanks found in Aquariums or pet shops do well, also I haven't used these myself but I have heard of specifically designed containers t house crickets could be used.
Yea, maybe. I think the holes on the top would be to big though, unless I bought mesh. :)

JackPayne

Sun May 28, 2017 9:34 pm

AntsAreAwesome wrote:
Sun May 28, 2017 9:31 pm
JackPayne wrote:
Yea, maybe. I think the holes on the top would be to big though, unless I bought mesh. :)
Yes'm but agian there's often a large variety of glass and plastic tanks.
Hi I'm Jack, How are you?

xTNxANTMANx

Sun May 28, 2017 9:48 pm

I use these round plastic containers from Wal-Mart they have a locking lid and with some work on the lid, I make it to where there is at least 3/4"-1" lip for my Fluon and I put my screen on top as extra precaution. They cost me anywhere from like $7-$15. With the different sizes, I can use them for starting colonies to bigger one's. I can take pics of you would like to see what I do to them exactly
Keeping:
Camponotus subbarbatus
Formica pallidefulva x2
Formica subsericea x4
Lasius sp
Tetramorium immigrans x2
Dorymyrmex bureni

Founding:
Formica pallidefulva
Unknown sp x2

Martialis

Sun May 28, 2017 9:50 pm

AntsAreAwesome wrote:
Sun May 28, 2017 9:29 pm
Martialis wrote:
I went to my local place and the cheapest one that somewhat meets my standards (besides the height) was $12 :| ...is that considered to be reasonable and/or cheap?
Ya, that is quite reasonable.
Keeper of

Selliing:

AntsAreAwesome

Sun May 28, 2017 10:31 pm

xTNxANTMANx wrote:
I use these round plastic containers from Wal-Mart they have a locking lid and with some work on the lid, I make it to where there is at least 3/4"-1" lip for my Fluon and I put my screen on top as extra precaution. They cost me anywhere from like $7-$15. With the different sizes, I can use them for starting colonies to bigger one's. I can take pics of you would like to see what I do to them exactly
Is it possible that you can send me the link to the item on the website? Or maybe an image?

Martialis

Mon May 29, 2017 8:02 am

AntsAreAwesome wrote:
Sun May 28, 2017 10:31 pm
xTNxANTMANx wrote:
Is it possible that you can send me the link to the item on the website? Or maybe an image?
The GAN farmer from California that Mikey has mentioned multiple time uses these:
https://www.containerstore.com/s/gift-packaging/containers/12
Keeper of

Selliing: