Where to Find Outworld containers

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

Delphie

Re: Where to Find Outworld containers

Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:20 pm

I buy food containers, that are relatively clear for viewing, at the dollar store. I cut a hole in the top and siliconed some fine mesh over the hole for air supply. They cost about $1.25 each and they are large enough to hold the test tube and provide forage room.

kykel09

Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:51 am

I use these:
http://www.staples.co.uk/content/images/product/GenesisExtraLarge/71/69/asset.3187169.jpg

You can find them at both walmart in the office supplies section and staples. Staples is better because they often have more and have larger sizes. They come in a variety of sizes, from a few inches, small enough for a few dozen ants in a test tube connected directly, to big enough to set a test tube inside to large enough to take up an entire shelf and work as a large scale out world for hundreds, if not thousands of ants. I use smaller ones. They are stackable and pretty durable and are tall enough to put a slip barrier in. A simple silicone seal works great to make sure the ants can't escape through the lid (they lock seal and tiny ants might be able to squeeze through) and the plastic is soft enough to cut through with a sharp knife for any kind of modification. The smaller ones cost anywhere from 2-5 bucks apiece up to about 10-15 for bigger ones.

I cut a square in the top of mine and then put a piece of steel screen mesh over it, held down with magnets. I'll post photos later.
Charlottesville, VA GAN Farmer
Seller of 3D Printed Nests

Owns:
Camponotus nearcticus
Camponotus castaneous
Camponotus pennsylvanicus
Phiedole bicarinata
Tetramorium immigrans
Forelius pruinosis

herryshamon

Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:40 am

I think you can search online, websites will be more beneficial for you there are many container shop which will deliver containers at your place.

http://budgetboxguy.com/

Rockster

Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:52 pm

I buy the critter containers at pet stores they have 3 sizes, I have a cnc router so I make tops for them out off acrylic, it's 2 pcs the top that I glue to the critter box and a lid, I found a synthetic mesh that I just lay across tth top then close the lid over it I use magnets to keep it secure, works pretty well.
Queens...
Camponotus floridanus- 1
Paratrechina longicornis- 20+
Dorymurmex bureni- 3
Colobopsis impressa- 2
Pheidole megacephala-1
Tapinoma Melanocephalum- 2