Moving Queens Mess Up

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

Yestordsd287

Moving Queens Mess Up

Thu May 25, 2017 5:49 pm

I got my 2 queens in their test tube setups. I tried to move both of them to a new test tube set up to clean their old, but they both were reluctant to enter the new test tubes. My Brachymyrmex just moved on top of the mold on the cotton ball. My Odontomachus just started freaking out and just runned through the small outworld ignoring the clean test tube. i feel that i stressed them out too much today... Is there any trick to make them move without harming them and not stressing them as much as i think i did today? both have laid eggs, but i think that my Brachymyrmex might have eaten some because of the stress. my Odontomachus just keeps the eggs in her jaws. Did i mess up really badly? questions:
1. How to move the queens safely?
2. Did i mess up a lot or is it okay?

JackPayne

Re: Moving Queens Mess Up

Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:21 am

They should be ok if you give them time to calm down, the best way to move them, is patience. They know when the mould is bad so they'll move when they feel it is unsustainable, don't force them.
Hi I'm Jack, How are you?

Aquaexploder

Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:41 am

If after a while they are still reluctant to move this might help: http://www.formiculture.com/topic/5809-moving-queens-from-moldy-test-tubes/?p=63721
Founding:

Crematogaster (2X)

Lasius Neoniger (2X)

Yestordsd287

Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:18 am

JackPayne wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:21 am
They should be ok if you give them time to calm down, the best way to move them, is patience. They know when the mould is bad so they'll move when they feel it is unsustainable, don't force them.
yeah i tried it again because i noticed my queen moved the brood to the dry cotton so i chose to connect another clean test tube. when i observed she moved in i separated the tubes and plugged the tube she was in. i noticed that she had less brood in the new tube, which is now worrying me.

JackPayne

Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:44 pm

She most likely ate some of them, unfortunately you can do much about that other than check on her weekly and give her time to continue her egg laying.
Hi I'm Jack, How are you?

Yestordsd287

Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:53 pm

JackPayne wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:44 pm
She most likely ate some of them, unfortunately you can do much about that other than check on her weekly and give her time to continue her egg laying.
okay thanks