Fire Ant Barriers

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

AntsAreAwesome

Fire Ant Barriers

Thu May 11, 2017 10:34 am

I have a dilemma. I am trying to find a barrier for fire ants. I have tried nearly everything but it does not work. I tried baby powder and rubbing alcohol and they just walk right over it sooner or later. I have tried Vaseline and it only deters them for 5 minutes. I can go on but I think you understand. So does anybody have any suggestions for fire ants or really any ants in general (besides fluon or olive oil)? Or will I just have to deal with them escaping when I have to clean their out world?

Batspiderfish

Re: Fire Ant Barriers

Thu May 11, 2017 11:07 am

Talcum powder is the best thing next to Fluon/Insectaslip. If you are applying the talcum powder correctly and still having trouble, you may need to provide an inner rim so that the barrier can be applied upside-down.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

AntsAreAwesome

Thu May 11, 2017 12:36 pm

Batspiderfish wrote:
Thu May 11, 2017 11:07 am
Talcum powder is the best thing next to Fluon/Insectaslip. If you are applying the talcum powder correctly and still having trouble, you may need to provide an inner rim so that the barrier can be applied upside-down.
Alright, do you know what is good mixture to use for it to work?

I did notice when I did a test, it seemed to be killing the ants, so is there specific ingredients or other things in the materials that need to be ruled out that could be deadly? The baby powder had fragrance so I don't know if that could have done anything.

And also, have often should I apply the mixture?

Batspiderfish

Thu May 11, 2017 2:51 pm

One coat usually lasts me an entire summer, although I have not been keeping large colonies for a while. Does your outworld have vertical walls, and is the band of talcum powder at least three or four times the length of the workers? As long as the mixture is given adequate time to dry out, it shouldn't be dangerous to the ants. I don't have a set formula -- I just make sure that the paint isn't too runny, but not too thick and pasty that it crumples off.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

AntsAreAwesome

Thu May 11, 2017 3:38 pm

Batspiderfish wrote:
Thu May 11, 2017 2:51 pm
One coat usually lasts me an entire summer, although I have not been keeping large colonies for a while. Does your outworld have vertical walls, and is the band of talcum powder at least three or four times the length of the workers? As long as the mixture is given adequate time to dry out, it shouldn't be dangerous to the ants. I don't have a set formula -- I just make sure that the paint isn't too runny, but not too thick and pasty that it crumples off.
Well I did a test with some escapees so I did not let it dry well. I think it was also to thick. I will try some more.

xTNxANTMANx

Thu May 11, 2017 7:13 pm

I know u said other than Fluon but that's what I use and haven't had the first problem yet. It may seem expensive but what you get will last for a really long time. Take my word, it's a great investment.
Keeping:
Camponotus subbarbatus
Formica pallidefulva x2
Formica subsericea x4
Lasius sp
Tetramorium immigrans x2
Dorymyrmex bureni

Founding:
Formica pallidefulva
Unknown sp x2

Lycosa

Fri May 12, 2017 1:21 am

This may sound like a silly idea to some of you, since I'm a noob and do not know, but has anyone ever tried clear packing tape? I use it for feeder roach colonies and it works well. They slip right off it. Just wondering...

ANTphibian

Sat May 13, 2017 4:34 am

Lycosa wrote:
Fri May 12, 2017 1:21 am
This may sound like a silly idea to some of you, since I'm a noob and do not know, but has anyone ever tried clear packing tape? I use it for feeder roach colonies and it works well. They slip right off it. Just wondering...
That isn't silly, but it certainly won't work. It works for roaches, as they aren't really escape artists, but with fire ants who can get through pretty much anything, packing tape will not deter them.I would suggest good quality insect-a-slip. It's expensive, but works very well.

MadVampy
Main Forum Admin

Sat May 13, 2017 9:12 pm

Ok well beings I keep fire ants I'll throw in my two cents! #1 Fireants are escape artist! IF there is a crack these little girls will find it!!! #2 I have tried vaseline, tape, and a few other things but the most effective I've found is baby powder/ rubbing alcohol mix and make a 1 inch strip around the outworld and then 1/2" above that I run a 1" strip of Fluon (insectaslip) as a back up. Between those two they generally don't make it to the top. Yes the Fluon is expensive but it last a good time and does really well.
MadVampy

Head Forum Admin
Name is also Mike but please don't confuse me with Mikey Bustos, two different people. :lol:
Keeper of Solenopsis Ants. :twisted:

AntsAreAwesome

Sat May 13, 2017 10:00 pm

MadVampy wrote:
Sat May 13, 2017 9:12 pm
Ok well beings I keep fire ants I'll throw in my two cents! #1 Fireants are escape artist! IF there is a crack these little girls will find it!!! #2 I have tried vaseline, tape, and a few other things but the most effective I've found is baby powder/ rubbing alcohol mix and make a 1 inch strip around the outworld and then 1/2" above that I run a 1" strip of Fluon (insectaslip) as a back up. Between those two they generally don't make it to the top. Yes the Fluon is expensive but it last a good time and does really well.
Ok. Sounds good. Trust me, I know these ladies are escape artists, I've had far to many expirences with them. Just the other day I opened the cotton for my hybrid nest for 4 seconds and then I look and the queen Escaped! I freaked out and was VERY careful in getting her back in. It was very beautiful though when she got a welcoming committee once the ants found her. Just a few questions: Do they ever make it to the top at all? Do they ever get past the baby powder mixture? How big is your colony(s) and how many do you have? (A personal question)