Odontomachus Outworld

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

Yestordsd287

Odontomachus Outworld

Tue May 09, 2017 2:30 pm

Hello!
I have a single Odontomachus queen. because of her semi-claustral nature, i desided to crate a homemade outworld for her to roam and forage. i got a plastic container that is 2 inches in height and 6 inches in length and 3.5 inches in width. i want to turn that into an outworld, so i was wondering if i should turn it natural with dirt, sand, others? also how to sterilize sand and dirt? how can i keep this queen inside her container because she is fast and menacing, she ususally when sees the cotton ball of the tube missing tryes to dash for the opening? so how and where to apply the non toxic material to keep her in?
the queen
container from above
side shot
and should i put the test tube inside the container or make a hole to put the test tube throught?
example of the test tube inside the container

Martialis

Re: Odontomachus Outworld

Tue May 09, 2017 3:58 pm

That will work. She may appreciate a small amount of substrate. What I've noticed with this kind of setup is that they work better when the tube is fastened down with clay or some other non-toxic adhesive.
Keeper of

Selliing:

Yestordsd287

Tue May 09, 2017 6:36 pm

Martialis wrote:
Tue May 09, 2017 3:58 pm
That will work. She may appreciate a small amount of substrate. What I've noticed with this kind of setup is that they work better when the tube is fastened down with clay or some other non-toxic adhesive.
Ok so i first fasten the tube to the outworld and then add some soil around the test tube. Just for curiosity things like Play Doh work? But what if the cotton starts to mold?

Yestordsd287

Wed May 10, 2017 1:49 pm

so this is what i have as of right now as an outworld.
it has almost 1 cm of dirt and do i just pu the test tube in there?
also she had some eggs that i dont see but saw her lay so what will happe, will she keep them in the test tube or will she take them and make a soil nest?

ANTphibian

Wed May 10, 2017 2:42 pm

Yestordsd287 wrote:
also she had some eggs that i dont see but saw her lay so what will happe, will she keep them in the test tube or will she take them and make a soil nest?
I wouldn't do that if I were you. They will nest in it and you will barely be able to see them.
What I would do (and have done) is fill it up to where you want the ground level to be with grout, then sprinkle sand over it completely. This would make it look and feel natural for the ants. Also, I'd add a separate nest for when the colony grows.

Yestordsd287

Wed May 10, 2017 2:54 pm

ANTphibian wrote:
Wed May 10, 2017 2:42 pm
Yestordsd287 wrote:
I wouldn't do that if I were you. They will nest in it and you will barely be able to see them.
What I would do (and have done) is fill it up to where you want the ground level to be with grout, then sprinkle sand over it completely. This would make it look and feel natural for the ants. Also, I'd add a separate nest for when the colony grows.
theres only one problem because i have no sand nor grout... can you tell me where i can find them like at a home depo, etc?

Yestordsd287

Wed May 10, 2017 3:26 pm

would it be better to have the outworld empty or add some dirt and all that

Martialis

Wed May 10, 2017 3:39 pm

She wont nest in a centimeter of dirt, especially if it's dry. This is fine.
Keeper of

Selliing:

Yestordsd287

Wed May 10, 2017 3:50 pm

Martialis wrote:
Wed May 10, 2017 3:39 pm
She wont nest in a centimeter of dirt, especially if it's dry. This is fine.
ok so if there is that few levels of dirt then she wont house in it? i measured the deepest part and it didnt reach the 1 cm mark. also i added some pebles and dry roots to make it more natural. so its ok if there is less than 1 cm of dirt?

Martialis

Wed May 10, 2017 4:07 pm

Yup! Sounds great! :)
Keeper of

Selliing: