New Out World

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

MadVampy
Main Forum Admin

New Out World

Fri May 05, 2017 2:18 am

So it was about time to build a new out world for my larger Solenopsis colony. Stopped by Hobby Lobby and Lowe's and picked up a few things. Was considering getting some plastic plants and such but I wanted to keep it basic and also I'll be doing a 55gal aquarium nest/outworld later and that's when I'll get crazy with all the extras! :P

Basketball display case
20' of 1/2" poly tubing
10Lbs of sanded grout and mixing bucket
Already had the aquarium gravel.

Tools: Drill with step bit, glue gun, sharpie marker,

Here's a step by step of the build.

Materials
Marked spots for two holes on each side of the container
Using the drill with the step bit I made holes for the 1/2" poly tubing to go into
Cut 2 10" pieces of tubing
Inserted tubing and used glue gun to hold in place. One side angled up and the other straight in (used a metal driver bit to hold it straight).
Tilted the enclosure so the grout would be high on one side to create a hill.
Mixed grout
Poured in the grout slowly to reduce splashing and also allowing it to flow to one side, I then used a paint stick to form it.
Made sure the tubing was plugged with paper towels to keep grout out while I formed it around the tubing.
Evenly spread out the gravel and tamped it into the wet grout to set it in place.
Allowed it to set up (dry) for a few hours and then dumped out the lose gravel and pulled the plugs out and trimmed the tubing down.
And this is pretty much the finished product.
MadVampy

Head Forum Admin
Name is also Mike but please don't confuse me with Mikey Bustos, two different people. :lol:
Keeper of Solenopsis Ants. :twisted:

xTNxANTMANx

Re: New Out World

Fri May 05, 2017 2:39 am

I like it. I am also planning on using an aquarium but just a 10 gallon :-). I am in the process of locating the right bit to drill the hole(s) in the glass but think I may have located what I want. I can't wait to do that project when the time comes!
Keeping:
Camponotus subbarbatus
Formica pallidefulva x2
Formica subsericea x4
Lasius sp
Tetramorium immigrans x2
Dorymyrmex bureni

Founding:
Formica pallidefulva
Unknown sp x2

MadVampy
Main Forum Admin

Fri May 05, 2017 2:42 am

Thanks. Diamond bits work best on glass. Also you can take it by a glass shop and they can cut the holes for you and you don't have to worry about buying the bit and taking a chance on cracking or breaking the glass.
MadVampy

Head Forum Admin
Name is also Mike but please don't confuse me with Mikey Bustos, two different people. :lol:
Keeper of Solenopsis Ants. :twisted:

xTNxANTMANx

Fri May 05, 2017 2:48 am

I'm honestly not to sure if there is a glass shop close to where I live. Not that I have heard of anyway. Plus, I want to buy the bit(s) for future builds as well. I will have to look into a glass shop though. I could be wrong and there just so happen to be a place within close proximity.
Keeping:
Camponotus subbarbatus
Formica pallidefulva x2
Formica subsericea x4
Lasius sp
Tetramorium immigrans x2
Dorymyrmex bureni

Founding:
Formica pallidefulva
Unknown sp x2

ANTphibian