Test tube formicarium

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

IridomyrmexJ

Test tube formicarium

Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:56 am

So, I currently have 2 queens and one has 2 workers. I want to make a formicarium but I lack the materials to do it. Can i set up a bunch of test tubes in a box and let that act as a formicarium? thanks!!

shaky33

Re: Test tube formicarium

Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:18 am

IridomyrmexJ wrote:So, I currently have 2 queens and one has 2 workers. I want to make a formicarium but I lack the materials to do it. Can i set up a bunch of test tubes in a box and let that act as a formicarium? thanks!!
You wont need that for a while buddy. But yes, that should work.
- Rhytidoponera metallica
- Camponotus consobrinus x2
- **** sp.
- Nylanderia sp.
- Melaphorus sp.
- Camponotus cairns
- Crematogaster sp.
- Colobopsis sp.
- Myrmecia nigrocinta
- Iridomyrmex purpureus
- Camponotus eastwoodi

Serafine

Re: Test tube formicarium

Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:16 am

Depends on the species, but generally yes. You want to apply a barrier though (so they can't crawl out or walk upside down on the lid) otherwise feeding them might become a hassle.

For slow-growing Camponotus such a setup will be fine for at least a year, probably even two years.
For fire ants which have a ridiculous growth rate you might to add new containers soon, so buy some tubing add it (stuff the end with a cotton plug) to it so you can expand if needed (since taking the ants out is obviously not an option once they got beyond 100 workers which Fire ants can do in 6 weeks).