My new Ytong formicarium + outword

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

Fulkol

My new Ytong formicarium + outword

Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:10 pm

Nearly finished with my new set of an Ytong nest + an acrylic outworld, just need to seal the nest a bit more and add the slippery cover to the top of the otworld.
I plan to house a colony of Lasius Niger in it.

This is the Ytong nest itself, an acrylic cover is screwed to it + it has hot glue gasket on the sides, there are 3 entrances, one which is being used for the tube and the rest are cottoned ventilation holes/spots for future expansions. The water chamber is an upside down pine tree shaped hole, water should spread from there.

This is how the two setups connect.

The otworld itself, it is made of 25x25 cm acrylic plates, the edges are hotglued together, the ground itself made of a layer of grout/gypsum and a layer of dry, waterpool filter sand on the top of it. A few rocks, a piece of coal and a a little bonsai are the decorations, the bonsai is in a hole in the gypsum, I've poured the gypsum around the plant's original pot and it has it's own ball of soil that it lives in. I think it's unlikely for the ants to build a nest in there because it's not deep or big enough I guess and the plant doesn't need to be watered too frequently.

This is how I plan it will look and where it will be, the nest will be covered most of the times with some kind of cardboard I guess and the outword should recieve enough light but not too directly.

Mowteam

Re: My new Ytong formicarium + outword

Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:10 pm

This looks like a very nice set up 8-) 8-) :D

shaky33

Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:52 am

Could you make some guide or something to make this for the craft noobs out there.
- Rhytidoponera metallica
- Camponotus consobrinus x2
- **** sp.
- Nylanderia sp.
- Melaphorus sp.
- Camponotus cairns
- Crematogaster sp.
- Colobopsis sp.
- Myrmecia nigrocinta
- Iridomyrmex purpureus
- Camponotus eastwoodi

Fulkol

Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:58 am

Mowteam wrote:This looks like a very nice set up 8-) 8-) :D
shaky33 wrote:Could you make some guide or something to make this for the craft noobs out there.

I will be making more one ytong nest probably this week, I could make photos and a topic about the progress if you wish. Not planning on making more 1 outword tho, but as I've said it's just 6 piece of 25x25 acrylic glass glued together with a maintenance shaft on the top one and one drilled hole for the connection tube. I did the ground as shown in one of the AntsCanada videos and basically that's it.

AntsSA

Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:46 pm

I like it :lol: :lol:
Keeping.
lepisiota capensis colony
Cardiocondyla sp.
Founding
Messor. Sp. X 4
Myrmicine Sp. X 2
atopomyrmex Sp. X 2
Ants SA
:lol: :lol:
YouTube :
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UC404jNiUH33dFnxqSZajoPg

larynx

Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:01 pm

Where did you acquire your ytong from if i may ask? :geek:
Forum Moderator
AntsCanada GAN Farmer

Fulkol

Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:44 pm

AntsSA wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:46 pm
I like it :lol: :lol:
larynx wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:01 pm
Where did you acquire your ytong from if i may ask? :geek:
It's a very common building material here in Hungary, I've bought a piece twice longer (cut it in haf=this + the one I'll be making) for as much as 1.5$

Fulkol

Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:15 am

It's been several months since I've made this and it has been a great success so far so I thought I'll post updated pictures to encourage others because I saw there are several threads on the topic.

The left one houses formicas of some kind I've got this year, too few for photo shoots yet so they'll be coming next year, on the right are my lasius niger colony thriving.

Left tube is honey with water and food coloring (it gave me a great opportunity to better understand food sharing in the community and the young is a lot more visible also), the right one is clear water. The bonsai as you can tell died pretty fast, on the right the foil is leftover honey from feeding the colonies still in tubes, the pink cup got salt in case they need it(not sure if they ever do), there's a used lemon in there also because I've got tiny insects feeding on their waste and I wanted to make sure to get ahead of mite infections.

Ants eating a grape and the mealworm shell they ate a day ago

This is the Ytong nest as you can tell and it's packed with ants and you can see the blue food sharing places as well 8-)

Close up on the larva and the pupae, you can see the larva being blue from the food and the fecal dots on the pupae are blue as well.

The queens cell with the eggs and the queen on the left-center, also you can notice workers hanging on the walls with bloated gasters serving as the fridge of the queen