Open Air Formicarium Help

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

SeanSz

Open Air Formicarium Help

Thu Apr 21, 2022 4:22 pm

Hi, I have a healthy queen Solenopsis currently in a test tube setup, and am planning out a formicarium as her first eggs will be hatching by the end of the week (hopefully). I have researched a lot and am thinking about establishing the colony in an open air setup (like the Floating Islands of Avista). I have an aquarium, a lucky bamboo bonsai, and a glass vase suspension. Before I do this, I am looking for the best ant barrier to put on the tank walls. Is baby powder/alcohol mixture the most effective? Any advice helps, as I really don’t want a loose fire ant colony in my home!

SolenopsisKeeper

Re: Open Air Formicarium Help

Thu Apr 21, 2022 5:22 pm

SeanSz wrote:
Hi, I have a healthy queen Solenopsis currently in a test tube setup, and am planning out a formicarium as her first eggs will be hatching by the end of the week (hopefully). I have researched a lot and am thinking about establishing the colony in an open air setup (like the Floating Islands of Avista). I have an aquarium, a lucky bamboo bonsai, and a glass vase suspension. Before I do this, I am looking for the best ant barrier to put on the tank walls. Is baby powder/alcohol mixture the most effective? Any advice helps, as I really don’t want a loose fire ant colony in my home!
No, Fluon is best. It takes a bit of effort a pressure to watch it off only using water, and it can be difficult using a rag. Fluon withstands moisture and most ants cannot cross it(If applied correctly). Also, don’t move the queen in until she has workers and has a very strong army(1k strong)
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

SeanSz

Re: Open Air Formicarium Help

Thu Apr 21, 2022 6:52 pm

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2022 5:22 pm
SeanSz wrote:
No, Fluon is best. It takes a bit of effort a pressure to watch it off only using water, and it can be difficult using a rag. Fluon withstands moisture and most ants cannot cross it(If applied correctly). Also, don’t move the queen in until she has workers and has a very strong army(1k strong)
Thanks!