So... Gel farms

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

Sethinski

So... Gel farms

Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:28 pm

So i'm going to start a new colony and i had a question about jel farms so i recently got a gel farm and im wondering if i can still use it,the ants will not only live in it they will have a hybrid nest and a formicarium and they will also get other food sources like honey-insects.So is the gel farm unusable?Thanks in advance

larynx

Re: So... Gel farms

Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:27 pm

Sethinski wrote:So i'm going to start a new colony and i had a question about jel farms so i recently got a gel farm and im wondering if i can still use it,the ants will not only live in it they will have a hybrid nest and a formicarium and they will also get other food sources like honey-insects.So is the gel farm unusable?Thanks in advance
i wouldnt include it in your setup that will have a queen. they present so many problems when trying to raise a colony in them. they are cool to watch if you get some ants without a queen though. :)
Forum Moderator
AntsCanada GAN Farmer

Serafine

Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:13 pm

Remove the gel and replace it with sand or soil.

larynx

Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:42 pm

Serafine wrote:Remove the gel and replace it with sand or soil.
Perfect idea. I honestly couldn't come up with any alternatives. This one is kinda obvious. derrrr :lol:
Forum Moderator
AntsCanada GAN Farmer