Heating the outworld

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

AntFin

Heating the outworld

Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:07 am

Do you have to heat your outworld or is it enough to just heat the nest? And from where can I get a good heating cable/lamp and the thing that you use to control the temperature.

KingKyle26

Re: Heating the outworld

Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:02 pm

Pet store or amazon you are looking for a "heating cable" probably. Not necessary to heat as long as the room where the set up is, is not air conditioned.

Cale3459

Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:06 pm

I just have a regular desk lamp over the top on mine. I keep a heating cable in my hybrid nest when the colony is not hibernating, but the outworld I just let get heat from the lamp.

Serafine

Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:04 am

Be careful with heating the outworld though, some species (Crematogaster in particular, probably Camponotus as well) could see this as an invitation to pile all their pupae within the outworld.

larynx

Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:21 pm

Personally, i have my heat cables run along one side of my outworlds to create a temperature gradient for them. Of course i abandon this method when its warmer in my house during peak summer.
Forum Moderator
AntsCanada GAN Farmer