Aphids in Outworld

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

Nathant

Aphids in Outworld

Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:29 pm

I am stoked on trying to start a parasitic Lasius colony soon. Here is what I'm thinking: The queen will be given a founding chamber via Test tube setup. It will be connected to an outworld, where there are Root Aphids! Parasitic Lasius ants in the wild's diet consists pretty largely of root aphid's honeydew apparently, so I thought it would be a cool idea to breed aphids within the outworld, and have them live along with any SP colony I found! I will do research on how to keep aphids (what plants they eat, temperature, etc.), although they are not the most common pet in the world :? . Do you guys think looking through SP nests are a good way of finding them in the wild? What do you think about this idea? I know it's kind of crazy but I'm going to try it! :mrgreen:
Massachusetts Nuptial Flight Thread | Massachusetts Anting Thread | My Ants

Barfdog

Re: Aphids in Outworld

Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:14 pm

I'm not certain on how difficult it would be to acquire the Aphids but it sounds like an awesome idea for sure, would love to see the finished product. :P :P
Keeper of:

One M1ABRAMS TANK AKA Camponotus Laevigatus Queen

Nathant

Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:56 am

Barfdog wrote:I'm not certain on how difficult it would be to acquire the Aphids but it sounds like an awesome idea for sure, would love to see the finished product. :P :P
It will be awhile to acquire this setup, as I'll need growing plants and a perfect temp, not to mention the aphids themselves which are tough to find. Perhaps I will try next spring or summer. I have doubts but you never know until you try! :mrgreen:
Massachusetts Nuptial Flight Thread | Massachusetts Anting Thread | My Ants

PotatoDelight

Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:18 pm

Where i live, we can usually find aphids within 20 feet of a honeydew plant (maybe a coincedence).
They clamp together and are very obvious. However, you only see them for a short time and then theyre gone. Until next year. If you can keep them that would be AWESOME. I would love to know how

Cale3459

Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:43 pm

Here is a link I found on catching or cultivating aphids for feeding to frogs. It's a bit short but maybe it will help you as a starting point for your research.

http://dendroworld.co.uk/BDGarchive/aphid_culture.html