What glue to use?

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

MrUrrutia

What glue to use?

Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:33 pm

I'm working on the design of my first formicarium, going for the 3d print way so i can generate more sections as it is needed, I have on the past created designs composed of multiple parts printed separately and then or glued or bolted together and I will be using the same design process on the formicarium...

I have used 5 minute epoxy or Cyanoacrylate base "SuperGlue" (Dap RapidFuse wood adhesive) for the parts, I prefer to use the SuperGlue because it cures on 30 minutes and it's easier to work than epoxy, do you think that will be safe to use it on the assembly part if I let it cure for a couple of days/weeks before using it?

Batspiderfish

Re: What glue to use?

Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:43 pm

Ideally, you would use silicone.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

MrUrrutia

Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:20 am

I guess that one option could be hot glue (like the one selling at hobby storrs for crafts) or just aquarium silicone as just suggest...

Probably hot glue will do good holding the screen on the firmucarium for the sponge and the acrylic piece on the top and for the connectors to the tubes i can use a really tight fit and silicone.

Batspiderfish

Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:35 am

Hot glue and moisture don't mix.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

MrUrrutia

Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:39 am

Mmm... Man, so silicone its like the only safe option?

MadVampy
Main Forum Admin

Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:16 pm

The 3d printed nest, what is it made of? PLA or ABS? If it's ABS you can use acetone to weld it together, just make sure you let it set a couple of days. Aquarium/food grade silicon is a good option just let it set up and gass out for at least 3 days.
MadVampy

Head Forum Admin
Name is also Mike but please don't confuse me with Mikey Bustos, two different people. :lol:
Keeper of Solenopsis Ants. :twisted:

MrUrrutia

Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:46 pm

I'm going to use PLA... I think that using silicone for the formicarium will work better because Cyanoacrylate will affect the clear acrylic, i will hate to get a nice print, good fit on the parts and then crappy acrylic with fogged areas on the formicarium and outworld because of the super glue!