Formicarium Materials PLEASE HELP

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

ANThonyluscious

Formicarium Materials PLEASE HELP

Wed Mar 30, 2022 6:24 am

Hello, I am curious what material works best for ants when making a homemade formicarium like the hybrid nests featured here! Ie. Stone, Glass, steel etc. I am fortunate enough to work in a field with access to many machines to help me blueprint and create one or many, I just don't know what would work best. Thanks! :D :D
Currently keeping: Camponotus pennsylvanicus colony just moved into an AC hybrid mini. :D

SolenopsisKeeper

Re: Formicarium Materials PLEASE HELP

Wed Mar 30, 2022 7:20 am

ANThonyluscious wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 6:24 am
Hello, I am curious what material works best for ants when making a homemade formicarium like the hybrid nests featured here! Ie. Stone, Glass, steel etc. I am fortunate enough to work in a field with access to many machines to help me blueprint and create one or many, I just don't know what would work best. Thanks! :D :D
Plaster works great, or so I have along with acrylic. If you want to make one fully out of acrylic, you can look at Aus ants acrylic nest. I prefer acrylic, as it is much more “clean” and doesn’t break easy, but you could 3d print nest, but it can be difficult or expensive without making them weak.
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

ANThonyluscious

Wed Mar 30, 2022 8:24 am

The aus ants acrylic nests are not my style also I am looking to make my own from scratch and want suggestions on base materials. Acrylic is okay but do you have any experience with glass or stone or even steel? I will be taking raw materials and running a hefty cnc fabrication machine to it and making pathways and chambers for the ants.
Currently keeping: Camponotus pennsylvanicus colony just moved into an AC hybrid mini. :D

AM1C39

Wed Mar 30, 2022 8:57 am

I have made many wooden nests, but you have to have the carved wooden parts inside of a glass tank or something like that.
My current colonies:
-Miniature Military(formica neogagates)
-Black Hearts(crematogaster cerasi)
In search of new camponotus colony
[Have a look at antmaps.org]

SolenopsisKeeper

Wed Mar 30, 2022 10:40 am

ANThonyluscious wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 8:24 am
The aus ants acrylic nests are not my style also I am looking to make my own from scratch and want suggestions on base materials. Acrylic is okay but do you have any experience with glass or stone or even steel? I will be taking raw materials and running a hefty cnc fabrication machine to it and making pathways and chambers for the ants.
Steal I think wouldn’t be optimal, as it has no natural grips for ants, like acrylic. It is also very heavy in my experience. Glass and Hydrostone works very nicely I have heard. Glass could be replaced with acrylic btw. Magnets are nicer connectors, but rust more than screws.

AM1C39

Wed Mar 30, 2022 11:09 am

Ytong was a very popular material for formicariums, do people still use it?
My current colonies:
-Miniature Military(formica neogagates)
-Black Hearts(crematogaster cerasi)
In search of new camponotus colony
[Have a look at antmaps.org]

SolenopsisKeeper

Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:19 pm

AM1C39 wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 11:09 am
Ytong was a very popular material for formicariums, do people still use it?
Ausants is all I know who sells nest. I love it for my Odontomachus… Pain to clean, and the things to hold screws in came out. Ausants ain’t responsible though, ytong wears away.