Test tube in formicariums

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

Reevak

Test tube in formicariums

Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:20 am

I have found that some people connect test tubes of water directly to an ant colony's formicarium. Does this cause problems, such as escapes when changing water test tubes? I was just curious if anyone had any experience or knowledge of this because it seems like a bad idea to me, but I have never owned an ant colony so I have no experience to base that thought on. Any explanations or ideas are appreciated. Thanks

Serafine

Re: Test tube in formicariums

Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:59 am

Wait until first tube starts to become dry.
Add second (full) tube. Ants will slowly start to ignore first tube as it dries out.
Remove first tube.

This is of course a bit critical in super large colonies (cause there will be ants on the tube even if it is ignored) but even then you should be able to just shake them off and remove the tube.

Batspiderfish

Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:09 am

Better to put this test tube in the outworld.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

Firestar987654321

Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:34 am

I know for a fact that actually Mikey Bustos does that with his "fire nation" colony on youtube. :lol:

MadVampy
Main Forum Admin

Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:32 pm

Yes I find that putting the water tube in the outworld makes things so much easier! when you have to change it you can simply pick it up and using a soft cloth or soft brush knock the ants that are on it off (keep the tube only about an inch off the floor of the out world).
MadVampy

Head Forum Admin
Name is also Mike but please don't confuse me with Mikey Bustos, two different people. :lol:
Keeper of Solenopsis Ants. :twisted: