New Camponotus

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

aNtzYC

New Camponotus

Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:26 am

Hi guys.
I just caught a bunch of new camponotus from the Woodstock, NY area. There seems to be a 3-5 queens/elates as well as 20-30 workers. How do I tell the difference between the elates and queens? Also, I have them living in a bucket with some dirt and two pieces of wood I found them in and I was wondering if anyone had some suggestions as to how I should proceed? I have and inner world about 10'x13' but I don't know with what to fill it. I have given them a piece peach and an insect to eat as well as water to drink.

Thanks,
-aNtzYC

Batspiderfish

Re: New Camponotus

Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:15 am

Alate queens have wings.

It kind of sounds like you didn't have a plan when you did this.

Are they the large Camponotus? (queens being around 1.5 cm in length, not including wings).
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

aNtzYC

Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:16 pm

There are large. I had a plan originally for formica subsericea but couldn't get a queen. I got lucky when I found these ants and put them in a pretty good spot for now. I just want to transfer them to real formicarium and figure out whats best for them.

Batspiderfish

Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:31 pm

How did you find this colony sample?
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

aNtzYC

Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:53 am

They were in a tree in the backyard of my house. My mom saw a couple crawl in so she lifted the bark, found a bunch of them, and brought them back to the house for me. We'd been doing research for a while in my science class and were ready for formica subsericea but the owner had already sold the queen so taking in the bunch was unexpected but exciting.

Batspiderfish

Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:53 am

It's unlikely that you have a fertilized queen, sadly.