Want to move my Crematogaster queen

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

ScaryBuh

Want to move my Crematogaster queen

Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:17 pm

Hey guys,

I want to move my Crematogaster queen to a test tube setup because I can't see her private life now :cry: .
I have given her a plastic box with some dirt on it, she dug her claustral chamber.

I thought it was cool at first, let her do it like she would have done in the wild, but now I have no idea if she is dead or if there's brood...

Would you recommend me against moving her?
If it's safe to move her to a tube setup, what would be the best way? Usually youtubes explain how to move from tubes to formicarium, not the contrary.

Batspiderfish

Re: Want to move my Crematogaster queen

Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:48 pm

Disturbing her puts her in danger. It would be best to be patient and wait for workers.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

martinnate

Re: Want to move my Crematogaster queen

Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:06 am

That was fun to watch, I would have loved to do that for my Crematogaster Queen but I probably would have killed her by moving the container and the dirt collapsing on her. Good luck with your colony. They are a fast growing colony after the 1st hibernation. Mine gave me about 6 workers and maybe 8-10 eggs before hibernation then when hibernation was over she decided to lay eggs like crazy and not 16months later she has well over 100 workers and still growing.