Hi guys it's me again!! How can i move an small ant colony ? About 10 workers ?

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

FireAntkeeper

Hi guys it's me again!! How can i move an small ant colony ? About 10 workers ?

Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:44 am

Hi guys my first attempt didn't work my first colony of ants died!!about 10 - 20 workers but there queen i think is dying right now and its in an out world soo.... :cry: :cry: :( please guys help me for my second ant colony about 10 workers should i put them in a formicarium or not do that ?

And wait for them to have more worker's like 30 to 40 ?

Ant : tropical fire ant
Genus : solenopsis geminata
PLEASE give me some tips to move my ant colony!!! :oops:

Batspiderfish

Re: Hi guys it's me again!! How can i move an small ant colony ? About 10 workers ?

Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:55 am

Why do they need to move?
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

FireAntkeeper

Re: Hi guys it's me again!! How can i move an small ant colony ? About 10 workers ?

Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:02 am

Because there test tube is dirty and mold all over the cotton that separate the water :oops: :cry:

Batspiderfish

Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:36 am

You can give them access to another clean test tube if you are concerned, but don't force them to move.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

martinnate

Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:53 am

I agree, don't force them. Just put another test tube in the out world with them. Maybe wrap foil or a brown paper bag around it so its dark ant in a few weeks they may move in. I even went one step further and put a short tube held in place by cotton on the end to make the opening smaller. They really liked that. this was my Crematagastor colony.

idahoantgirl

Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:39 am

do not move your ants into a formicarium until they are at least 25 workers strong. if you fail to do this, it can kill your colony.
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile