planning a semi-claustral setup.

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

JPSMedeiros

Re: planning a semi-claustral setup.

Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:11 pm

Thanks =D

JPSMedeiros

Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:45 pm

pedrovicentebp wrote:Its looks AWESOME almost for me :roll: because here in venezuela geting the outworlds isnt easy because nothing is cheap and good (we have economical crisis but thats off topic) but i think it looks NICE

and yep thats enough dirt :geek:
2 of my ants are hiding behind one of those rocks, 1 is in the test tube after me replacing the rock that she was hiding(it was very good to hide so I changed). Should I be worried? Maybe remove the rocks? I was hoping that they would make the nests inside the test tube =X

pedrovicentebp

Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:55 pm

JPSMedeiros wrote:
pedrovicentebp wrote:Its looks AWESOME almost for me :roll: because here in venezuela geting the outworlds isnt easy because nothing is cheap and good (we have economical crisis but thats off topic) but i think it looks NICE

and yep thats enough dirt :geek:
2 of my ants are hiding behind one of those rocks, 1 is in the test tube after me replacing the rock that she was hiding(it was very good to hide so I changed). Should I be worried? Maybe remove the rocks? I was hoping that they would make the nests inside the test tube =X

just put little rocks i dont really know too much about this behaviour but I imagine that he uses it like a hiding spot that they use to hunt but maybe yes he is nesting on the rocks just check te rocks daily to see if he left some eggs in there and if she lets eggs in the rocks just quit the rocks a

+extra tip:do not water the dirt because you are promoting the nesting under the rocks because that will provide she nice humidity

i tell you about the hiding spot because the odontomachus uses the same technique and both of them are carnivorous and hunter ants :geek:

martinnate

Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:17 am

They may not use the test tube b/c the dirt may be better for them, so what I would do is put something like foil or brown paper around the test tube to make it dark and leave the out worlds in the light, and maybe take some of the dirt out. Just put a very thin layer of dirt and they may go into the test tube instead of the dirt.