Which setup

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

redline

Which setup

Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:52 am

Hi All,

New to ants and this forums :) Which is the best setup to buy for space and viewing? I am from Melbourne/Aus

antscanada
Main Forum Admin

Re: Which setup

Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:25 am

Hello,

I would say it really depends on the species and the colony size. It's a verybgood thing that you are asking. May I ask what species and how big the colony you have is?

Or do you not have a colony yet and are you just exploring your options?

Mikey
Ant Love Forever.

SweetDirtyTooth

Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:29 pm

I'm not saying this because we are in the AntsCanada Forum but For observation I think the Omni nests are best since they are made of clear acrylic and you can observe ants, they also have different sizes and the biggest one, the Omni Nest extra large can house thousands of ants and won't take too much space.
They also have these in either Vertical or Horizontal, check the store out for other products. You could check around the internet for other nests or make your own one too.

If you are new and starting an ant colony I guess you have a Queen, they can be in test tubes for a long time.

Hope I helped, reply in the post if you have more queries

Good Luck!

antscanada
Main Forum Admin

Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:16 pm

Thanks for the recommendation, SweetDirtyTooth!

As far as formicariums go, among the AntsCanada formicariums, I would say the flat-laying Omni Nests are a good choice if you don't know what species you are going to be keeping, as many ant species tend to take to them well.

I have also heard plaster nests to be good for a wide array of ant species, but they mold and some ants can chew through it when dry. Some species like Carebara (formerly Pheidologetton), do better in dirt or natural nests or formicariums with dirt, over other kinds of formicariums. It helps to know what species you are housing when choosing a formicarium.

We're actually still learning what works best per species. ANnt keeping is still really a new hobby and there's a lot we don't know.
Ant Love Forever.

SweetDirtyTooth

Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:31 pm

Destervious wrote:I agree with SweetDirtyTooth, If observation is key, then look no further than the Omni Nest, Great Design, 360 view of your colony, Hydration made easy, the only down side (should you choose to see it that way) is that you wont be able to witness your workers digging, unless you place a substrate into the outworld, (Just note: your ants may move their nest into the outworld should you do so.)

I'm looking forward to purchasing the extra large nest for my "Myrmecia pilosula" colony, as currently they are currently in a container that serves as both a outworld and formicarium; and the fact that they are in the species of "big ant category" :roll: :lol:
I can't wait to see them in it 8-) Nice outworld by the way, I am currently looking to make an natural nest for my Lasius Flavus colony

antscanada
Main Forum Admin

Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:59 am

I love that this thread has sprung into a lovely conversation about formicariums. In light of this, I am moving this topic to the Formicariums & Setups section. Hang on tight, guys! Woooppeeeeeee!
Ant Love Forever.

Jacoblikescamponotus

Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:49 am

I have a queen in a jar and I want to move her into a test tube. But the test tube is to long. How should i move her in. P.s she has some eggs

SweetDirtyTooth

Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:26 am

lay the jar down and put the test tube near the queen and both in a container so she can't escape, you get it? It's hard to explain than to do it :lol:

larynx

Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:07 pm

basically, lure he out with a better home to move into. (make the grass greener on the other side) so to speak. :mrgreen:
Forum Moderator
AntsCanada GAN Farmer

Devinhamster

Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:48 pm

This is a bit off topic but speaking of set ups what is the point of heating an ant nest if ground temperature is certainly lower than the temperature of the surface?