Plaster and Paris Formicarium- How do i give water?

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

Salkio

Plaster and Paris Formicarium- How do i give water?

Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:03 am

Hello,

So i recently made my self a small formicarium out of plaster and pairs, i just have one small concern. How do i give water to my 2 queen ants? (no they do not fight they help one and other protect their eggs i forgot what this type of ant is called :P). They are in a rectangular tub and there is a space for a out world which is ontop of their main tunnel area.
I made something like this: Image
But less pretty and out of plaster. Now if i place wet cotton bits in the out world will they go search for it?

Thanks

Lorenzo

Batspiderfish

Re: Plaster and Paris Formicarium- How do i give water?

Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:27 pm

Wow! That is a pretty nest! (oh, haha, I thought that one was yours.)

The reason people use plaster nests is because they are very porous and soak water up. You water your nest by wetting the plaster, usually with some sort of reservoir at the bottom.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

AnthonyP163

Re: Plaster and Paris Formicarium- How do i give water?

Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:16 pm

Yes, I think plaster soaks up water.

But if in wrong, then just turn a few of the chambers in to hydration ones, by filling them with cotton and being able to water them through a hole.

Just make sure that the cotton is tight enough that the and can't escape.