IDEA

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

AntLove5Ever

Re: IDEA

Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:23 am

AceCadet wrote:I feel this is where things get a bit hypocritical. What about parrots, parrots live upwards of 80 years. Cats and dogs live 20 years on occasion. You wouldn't release them just because its been too long. You can control colony size through protein. So why get rid of them? I don't think I could release my colonies after spending years taking care of them. They could be wiped out by pesticides, smashed by people, destroyed by construction. Isn't this the exact thing you are stating you would be "protecting" the colonies from by relocating them.

What I'm saying is that I am not in any position to keep something for 20+ years. I wouldn't keep a parrot, and I also think that dogs live for like 10 years...

nightxwolf88

Re: IDEA

Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:34 am

I feel that considering many of us here are hobbyist you can think of our ant colonies as pets even if we are keeping them for observation. I hope to go back to school for biology and it does help to study ants but they are still pets not an object of scientific study. That being said I believe with any pet we must take into consideration how long your pet will live and depend on you before obtaining that pet. We are not rescue operations saving queens and rehabilitating them. Like Batspiderfish said, its mostly for our own amusement.