Topographical drawings of wild ant nests for formicaria

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

Batspiderfish

Topographical drawings of wild ant nests for formicaria

Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:58 pm

I've had this new idea for using computer design to help sculpt naturalistic tunnels for use in formicaria. I took this stock photo of a Lasius nest and traced simple topographical details over it. Then, after some computational wizardy, I projected these traces into 3-dimensional shapes. I hope to print this out, along with a mold box, so I can make plaster casts of wild ant nests. :D

I don't think I violated the rights of the photographer by drawing a picture of a photograph, but idk?

http://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-black-ant-common-black-ant-garden-ant-lasius-niger-opened-nest-9682772.html

If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

AntFarm

Re: Topographical drawings of wild ant nests for formicaria

Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:56 pm

A step by step tutorial would amazing, or a file share to the obj would be nice.

Batspiderfish

Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:06 pm

AntFarm wrote:A step by step tutorial would amazing, or a file share to the obj would be nice.
Maybe someday, but I am already exhausted figuring this stuff out. :D
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

Martialis

Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:12 pm

cool! This would bring a whole new level to formicaria.
Keeper of

Selliing:

Batspiderfish

Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:13 pm

Inkscape has an unofficial extension which can adapt svg files into escad files. I think Blender can do this as well. I used Gimp 2 to generate the svg from a drawing.

Martialis

Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:16 pm

Do any of those programs cost money at all? I honestly see some potential in this.
Keeper of

Selliing:

Batspiderfish

Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:54 pm

Martialis wrote:Do any of those programs cost money at all? I honestly see some potential in this.
Nope! They are all free to use. I've tried some of the design programs that do cost money, and I find that they try to hold your hand and parent you, so it's very frustrating when there's something you need to do, but you don't know how to get the program to let you do it.

It takes a lot of work to learn how to use complicated and labor-intensive software, but there's usually way more you can do with it.

Batspiderfish

Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:10 pm

Batspiderfish wrote:Inkscape has an unofficial extension which can adapt svg files into escad files. I think Blender can do this as well. I used Gimp 2 to generate the svg from a drawing.
.scad, not .escad

Martialis

Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:11 pm

Thank you! I've created a topographical map of an entire Camponotus picture. I just need to figure out how to move layers up and down, and then I'll create a "design".
Keeper of

Selliing:

Batspiderfish

Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:38 am

Martialis wrote:Thank you! I've created a topographical map of an entire Camponotus picture. I just need to figure out how to move layers up and down, and then I'll create a "design".
:D