Tackle Box Formicarium build

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

CaptainRedBeardd

Re: Tackle Box Formicarium build

Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:50 pm

Funhouse42 wrote:I was also thinking about granulated cork. You can get it in a large variety of sizes, and it holds moisture well. I figured the 1 to 2 mm size might be good.
Didn't know they made that..will have to look into it. Thanks for the tip!

Funhouse42

Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:52 pm

CaptainRedBeardd wrote:
Funhouse42 wrote:I was also thinking about granulated cork. You can get it in a large variety of sizes, and it holds moisture well. I figured the 1 to 2 mm size might be good.
Didn't know they made that..will have to look into it. Thanks for the tip!
No problem. Definitely keep up updated on how things are going for you.

AntsMclama

Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:09 pm

O hi, Nice build!
Being new to anting myself, i'd have concerns of your placement as of right now. Like heat from your PC, and if its your PC room then you probably have a Air Conditioner in the room.

Maybe its a temporary location whilst nothing is inside, But i LOVE the location, and i wish i could set up my future ant colony right next to my computer! (i spend a lot of time here)

CaptainRedBeardd

Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:31 am

AntsMclama wrote:O hi, Nice build!
Being new to anting myself, i'd have concerns of your placement as of right now. Like heat from your PC, and if its your PC room then you probably have a Air Conditioner in the room.

Maybe its a temporary location whilst nothing is inside, But i LOVE the location, and i wish i could set up my future ant colony right next to my computer! (i spend a lot of time here)
My pc doesn't get very heated, honestly. And it's in the main part of my apartment. My apartment is about 80 through the whole day, and about 75 or so at night. So, I have a heat pad under the formicarium with a thermometer for temperature regulation. I was also thinking of getting a heat lamp and another pad for the outworld, just to be able to monitor the temps, there. Luckily, these are desert species so they are used to chilly nights. As long as I keep the formicarium at underground temp, they should be okay.

Also, as a side note, all of my queens are kept in my closet with a heater on a thermostat to keep it about 82-84. It is cut off from the air conditioning. You are right, I do need to address the temp in the outworld, may be a little chilly for them to want to explore it. I will look into a heat lamp I can place above to simulate the sun.

Thanks!

Martialis

Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:17 am

CaptainRedBeardd wrote:

My pc doesn't get very heated, honestly. And it's in the main part of my apartment. My apartment is about 80 through the whole day, and about 75 or so at night. So, I have a heat pad under the formicarium with a thermometer for temperature regulation. I was also thinking of getting a heat lamp and another pad for the outworld, just to be able to monitor the temps, there. Luckily, these are desert species so they are used to chilly nights. As long as I keep the formicarium at underground temp, they should be okay.

Also, as a side note, all of my queens are kept in my closet with a heater on a thermostat to keep it about 82-84. It is cut off from the air conditioning. You are right, I do need to address the temp in the outworld, may be a little chilly for them to want to explore it. I will look into a heat lamp I can place above to simulate the sun.

Thanks!
80 throughout the day? 75 at night? That's perfect.
Keeper of

Selliing:

CaptainRedBeardd

Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:24 am

Martialis wrote:
CaptainRedBeardd wrote:

Thanks!
80 throughout the day? 75 at night? That's perfect.

Oh, good. Haha. I hate the cold so I don't allow my house to get too chilly. Luckily, small apartment is easy to keep at a steady temperature. I turn the AC up to 80 during the day since I'm not home to save electricity but, I can't just turn it off completely or my other animals (cats, turtle, and dogs) might suffer. :P Haha.