Stackable Pill Containers?

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

FlameofOsiris

Re: Stackable Pill Containers?

Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:23 pm

This is a really interesting concept to see! I'm worried about how you'll hydrate them, being the test tubes might not fit.

perryismyname

Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:22 am

This is actually a great idea, I only see one problem, most ants can't climb smooth verticle surfaces. you would need to find a way to make it easier for them to climb. For note with plastic, I have found that a 45-degree angle is about maximum that ants can climb without any slipping, tested on Camponotus and Formica. maybe tip it sideways?

RainbowScience

Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:28 am

perryismyname wrote:This is actually a great idea, I only see one problem, most ants can't climb smooth verticle surfaces. you would need to find a way to make it easier for them to climb. For note with plastic, I have found that a 45-degree angle is about maximum that ants can climb without any slipping, tested on Camponotus and Formica. maybe tip it sideways?
It could definitely be put on it's side, as long as the holes in the side are drilled in relation to each other. I currently have some Tetramorium sp. E in it and they can all climb the walls fine except the queen.

perryismyname

Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:15 pm

RainbowScience wrote:
perryismyname wrote:This is actually a great idea, I only see one problem, most ants can't climb smooth verticle surfaces. you would need to find a way to make it easier for them to climb. For note with plastic, I have found that a 45-degree angle is about maximum that ants can climb without any slipping, tested on Camponotus and Formica. maybe tip it sideways?
It could definitely be put on it's side, as long as the holes in the side are drilled in relation to each other. I currently have some Tetramorium sp. E in it and they can all climb the walls fine except the queen.
Hmm can you post pics of them in it?
Thanks -Perry

JohnyDL

Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:18 am

Love this idea but it makes me wonder if you could place something in there (or even in tubing) to use as a leader that they won't just eat so they can get from floor to floor my first instinct was wool or string but maybe braided or roughed up wire might work, copper is a fungicide and that might help a colony in to her ways too... more research yeay

ScaryBuh

Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:47 am

Very colorful and nice idea. I like different types of formicarium :lol:

Onyxiguana

Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:58 am

Maybe you can just take groups of three containers and make little sections with tubes connecting them? that way water will slow nicely and it might be easier to clean it if say one section gets really dirty.
Current Queens:
(2) Tetramorium Imimgrans

ordenrahl

Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:05 pm

nice way to be economical! I like this setup, very clever.

larynx

Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:41 pm

Very cool. I have a few sets of these I use as containers when I hunt. I was trying to think of a good way to set them up for my unknown tiny sp. Colony . Thanks for sharing. I will more than likely use your idea. Great job.
Forum Moderator
AntsCanada GAN Farmer