DIY Founding Chamber !CHEAP!

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

Durtturbine

DIY Founding Chamber !CHEAP!

Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:31 am

Just a quick post about the founding chamber I made. It is a cheap 1$ glass bowl I got from Dollar Tree. I used molding clay to make the chamber. I poured Plaster of Paris and tipped it at about a 45 degree angle and let it dry. Took the clay out and put it back into place then poured flat Plaster of Paris to set it into place. Once the second pour was slightly hard, I poured sand on it and pushed it in for texture. As of now I hydrate the nest by putting tiny amounts of water in the little dip I made with a bottle cap. My solenopsis colony loves it so far. My only concern is that the queen found a place where the plaster had bubbled and she chewed through it to make her own founding chamber lol.

Mauritaniants

Re: DIY Founding Chamber !CHEAP!

Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:31 pm

Looks good, almost like a slighty larger Tar Heel Ants starter formicarium.
The only thing I think I would have added is perhaps included some texture/substrate inside the chamber itself for a more "authentic" look as well as more medium for moisture but otherwise a great DIY formicarium!

Durtturbine

Re: DIY Founding Chamber !CHEAP!

Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:39 pm

Ohh yea lol. This was the first one I attempted. I definitely plan on redoing it in the future. I believe I want to be able to remove the glass around the chamber as well. So that might play into texturing it as well.