Out World

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

MadVampy
Main Forum Admin

Out World

Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:19 pm

Ok I found something kinda cool that I'm using as an out world for right now. My setup is very basic right now until I build the nest I want. I found this at the local arts and craft store and thought it would work great. It's a display case used to show models, and sports memorabilia, and other collectibles in. When inverted with the removable top up it's like a mini plastic tank. It measures (I didn't really measure it but I guesstimated it's size), 6" X 8" by 6" deep. It has a lid that snaps into place and can be removed by prying a corner with a knife edge or screwdriver. I used a step bit and made a 3/4" hole in the top lid for air (epoxied a fine mesh screen over it) and two holes for tubing (one is a spare for future use). It was like $10 USD and has plenty of room.

I'm a macgyver at heart, I always design and make stuff so this was perfect! And best of all with the tight fitting lid my little escape artiest (Solenopsis) can't figure a way out!
MadVampy

Head Forum Admin
Name is also Mike but please don't confuse me with Mikey Bustos, two different people. :lol:
Keeper of Solenopsis Ants. :twisted:

Acorns

Re: Out World

Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:22 pm

Good to know looks like something Tarheel ants uses for his out workls and some formicarium.

Mauritaniants

Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:14 am

Good find!
I have something similar that I ordered.
It's a sliding acrylic case, that way I can still look from the top down.

I also bought these
They're 1 inch mini boxes. They're basically modular ant nest that I will drill holes to and connext via tube. I'm planning on setting them up vertically and use some silicone to attach them to my outworld.
I'm thinking of filling each boxes with a thin layer of plaster for hydration or maybe just place a generous amount of cotton that I"ll just regularly water, that way it would be easier to clean.

larynx

Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:37 am

[quote="Mauritaniants"]Good find!

sweet! where did you find these?
Forum Moderator
AntsCanada GAN Farmer

Mauritaniants

Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:51 am

larynx wrote:
Mauritaniants wrote:Good find!

sweet! where did you find these?
Here you go :)
Just look up "acrylic containers" in Amazon and they have a lot of different variations of it.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0055UAQIG?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00