Crematogaster question

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

Aaron567

Crematogaster question

Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:10 pm

I recently caught a Crematogaster queen, and I did research about them and I read that they usually nest in dead wood. If they nest in dead wood in the wild, would they still be able to nest in a typical formicarium? Crematogaster ants look so cool and I hope my queen is able to found a colony, but I don't think I would be able to successfully keep them in a dead piece of wood.

AnthonyP163

Re: Crematogaster question

Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:23 pm

I am not an expert, and don't want to mess up your experience, but in my opinion, she could live in dead wood, or, you could put her in a test tube setup and then wait until she has workers and move them into a dead log. That's the hard way.

Just remember, if you put her in the dead wood, you probably won't be able to see what's going on.

MCWren

Re: Crematogaster question

Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:02 pm

I'm really late on this one, but hopefully you still see this:

You can keep Crematogaster in a normal formicarium. Many Camponotus sp. nest in dead wood, and they're one of the most popular ant genera to keep in formicaria.