A problem

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

perryismyname

A problem

Sun Jun 05, 2016 5:05 pm

I have been making plaster o Paris formicariums and one or two of them started to mold, someone mentioned something about an anti-mold agent I could add to the plaster whilst mixing it that would keep it from molding. I can't really use other materials because most are too expensive for me, so I am going to try to stick to plaster o Paris. Does anyone have any tips for keeping mold out and away, also does anyone know of any non-toxic anti-mold additives I could add
Last edited by perryismyname on Sun Jun 05, 2016 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks -Perry

idahoantgirl

Re: A problem

Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:15 pm

perryismyname wrote:I have been making plaster o Paris formicariums and one or two of them started to mold, someone mentioned something about an anti-mold agent I could add to the plaster whilst mixing it that would keep it from molding. I can't really use other materials because most are too expensive for me, so I am going to try to stick to plaster o Paris. Does anyone have any tips for keeping mold out and away, also does anyone know of any non-toxic anti-mold additives I could add
I'm not sure that plaster of paris is a very good way to go period. other than the mold, it's breakable, and some species can probably chew threw it. Also even if you did add an additive remember that ants still have to go to the bathroom and I'm not sure that even an anti mold additive would completely fix the problem. There is one option for making your own formicarium that I think would work very well. It's dirt cheap too. this is made out of a small bead organizer. If I were to make it, the only thing I would change is taking off the lid and replacing it with a piece of glass that has been hot glued/siliconed on.
here is the link to the instructional.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slse_qq2SXU
hope I helped!
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile

perryismyname

Re: A problem

Mon Jun 06, 2016 12:45 am

idahoantgirl wrote:
perryismyname wrote:I have been making plaster o Paris formicariums and one or two of them started to mold, someone mentioned something about an anti-mold agent I could add to the plaster whilst mixing it that would keep it from molding. I can't really use other materials because most are too expensive for me, so I am going to try to stick to plaster o Paris. Does anyone have any tips for keeping mold out and away, also does anyone know of any non-toxic anti-mold additives I could add
I'm not sure that plaster of paris is a very good way to go period. other than the mold, it's breakable, and some species can probably chew threw it. Also even if you did add an additive remember that ants still have to go to the bathroom and I'm not sure that even an anti mold additive would completely fix the problem. There is one option for making your own formicarium that I think would work very well. It's dirt cheap too. this is made out of a small bead organizer. If I were to make it, the only thing I would change is taking off the lid and replacing it with a piece of glass that has been hot glued/siliconed on.
here is the link to the instructional.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slse_qq2SXU
hope I helped!
That is a pretty good and cheap way to do it. Thank you very much.
Thanks -Perry