Problem with Plaster

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

perryismyname

Problem with Plaster

Sun Jun 05, 2016 2:25 am

I made a plaster o Paris formicarium not to long ago and I finally perfected the water dispensing system. But since I do not have a big enough colony to put in it yet I set it aside with the glass off to dry out, but I had a problem after about three days of sitting there it grew a little mold on it. Is that just because I let it sit there? Also will that be a problem when I am putting water in it daily? Here is a picture of the formicarium the red highlight is where the water is dispensed into the formicarium. There is spotted mold in the two compartments with highlight but none in the actual water tube though.
Thanks -Perry

AntsRule

Re: Problem with Plaster

Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:02 am

Yeah plaster is known to mold. You should use un-sanded grout instead. Un-sanded grout is designed not to mold. Do not know what else you can do to stop it from molding.
With all the things ants can do, you wonder, who rules the planet :?

Keeper of:
Camponotus Pennsylvanicus
Pheidole sp.

perryismyname

Sun Jun 05, 2016 5:08 pm

AntsRule wrote:Yeah plaster is known to mold. You should use un-sanded grout instead. Un-sanded grout is designed not to mold. Do not know what else you can do to stop it from molding.
Grout is out of my price range, I am working on becoming a Gan farmer so I need to be able to make farms somewhat easily any cheap so I don't have to charge ridiculously. IS there anything else you know of that I could do.
Thanks -Perry

AntsRule

Sun Jun 05, 2016 5:18 pm

Hydrostone and cork slabs i Have heard work :D You could also make a nest like two glass panels close together with dirt in between. I do not know how to make them but i have seen cool pics of those. Good luck :D

Keeper of:
Pheidole sp.

larynx

Sun Jun 05, 2016 5:32 pm

For GAN you won't have to worry about nests. We sell them in there tubes when they have around 15 workers.
Forum Moderator
AntsCanada GAN Farmer

perryismyname

Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:18 pm

larynx wrote:For GAN you won't have to worry about nests. We sell them in there tubes when they have around 15 workers.
We you can sell them within the test tubes? I thought we were supposed to have the colonies the colony grow to big?
Also, isn't it hard to grow a colony for a long period of time within a test tube? Because I may not be able to sell ants quickly they could sit for a little while and wouldn't they grow to large for a test tube setup? You sound like a gan farmer, how do you grow your ants then sell them? I just had a wicked Idea I am going to draw it up and post it here once I get a sketch all drawn
Thanks -Perry

AntsRule

Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:41 pm

The requirement to join the GAN program is that you need to have 1 queen with 1 worker. I know if it were me I would want to buy a small colony in a test tube set up and have it grow. I would not want to start with a large colony. You can place a test tube colony in an out world with more test tubes to provide more space. Hope that helps! :D

Keeper of:
Pheidole sp.

larynx

Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:51 pm

perryismyname wrote:
larynx wrote:For GAN you won't have to worry about nests. We sell them in there tubes when they have around 15 workers.
We you can sell them within the test tubes? I thought we were supposed to have the colonies the colony grow to big?
Also, isn't it hard to grow a colony for a long period of time within a test tube? Because I may not be able to sell ants quickly they could sit for a little while and wouldn't they grow to large for a test tube setup? You sound like a gan farmer, how do you grow your ants then sell them? I just had a wicked Idea I am going to draw it up and post it here once I get a sketch all drawn
its not hard at all. i grow all of mine in test tubes and sell them that way as well. you have to remember you will only be selling ants for a few months at best, because of winter and hibernating. :D
Forum Moderator
AntsCanada GAN Farmer

idahoantgirl

Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:10 pm

In case you would like to know, I have always thought that making something like this would be cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slse_qq2SXU

It is made out of a plastic bead organizer. somewhat similar to an omni nest. The only thing I would change is I would take the organizers lid off and hot glue/ silicone a piece of glass on instead. This would make the ants more visible as well as be a more secure way to keep the ants inside.
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile