Outworld decoration sanitization

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

MCWren

Outworld decoration sanitization

Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:22 pm

Hello everybody. When I went on a birding trip (I love birding, hence MC "Wren") to Cape May, New Jersey, I collected some sand from a beach to use in a future outworld. When I make my outworld, I intend to sprinkle the sand on top of the grout before the grout dries, for a sandy look. Although I collected very little and thus won't make it a full beach/desert theme, I think it would make a nice addition to an outworld. Anyway, the sand is of course not clean, and has the potential to grow mold in an outworld. How can I make the sand clean enough to use in an outworld? Put it in an oven? I intend to also clean some rocks for outworld use. Thank you!

larynx

Re: Outworld decoration sanitization

Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:34 pm

aww i thought you were a lorenzo patterson fan, lol.
anyway, yes you can "cook" your sand to sanitize it. i usually rinse mine real good to make sure there is no debris in it, then i spread it out on a big square cake pan. (no thicker than about 3 inches or so). cover it with foil, cut a small slit for ventilation. i then cook it at 200 degrees f. until the inside middle of the sand is around 200 degrees. i then let it cool while covered until i use it.
Forum Moderator
AntsCanada GAN Farmer

MCWren

Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:41 pm

Can I do the same thing with rocks?

MCWren

Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:43 pm

That's the joke btw. Wren=ren