first large formicarium

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

perryismyname

first large formicarium

Tue May 24, 2016 1:55 am

I just made my first large formicarium and I wanted to get some thoughts on it. I know it does not have an exit for the ants or for water yet, because I will be adding that soon. Also I have one question with the watering method of having a separate compartment for water and letting it seep through the glass and plaster, does the formicarium have to be upright or can I have it laying flat? if so what side should I have facing up?

here is the link: Image
Thanks -Perry

AntsRule

Re: first large formicarium

Tue May 24, 2016 7:51 am

Looks great! Not sure if it can be flat, I have the same question myself. How will it be ventilated? :D
With all the things ants can do, you wonder, who rules the planet :?

Keeper of:
Camponotus Pennsylvanicus
Pheidole sp.

ooper01
Head Moderator

Re: first large formicarium

Tue May 24, 2016 1:59 pm

It's an optical illusion. I see the tunnels and chambers as raised portions unless I make myself see them as sunken. Kinda weird! ;) It looks really nice though, good job. I don't have any personal experience with plaster nests, but I would guess that in order to get the best hydration, you will need gravity to help you. You may at least want to prop it up on an angle, perhaps 30 to 45 degrees, and test it out first. If the nest gets moist next to the water reservoir, then you should be good. If not, try a steeper angle or maybe expand the reservoir to be closer to the nest.
~ ooper

Forum Moderator