Where to look?!

General Off Topic Chat and Discussions

Moderator: ooper01

Heather

Where to look?!

Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:57 pm

Hello all!

I'm new to the forums and have done a lot of research, but I still have much to learn. I've watched many AntsCanada videos on YouTube as well as videos by others. I've seen people walk out their back door and catch over a dozen queens and others who have trekked a couple miles and only found one or two. I'm looking to catch a camponatus queen or false honeypot (the scientific name escapes me right now) and was wondering where I should look? Apparently they're doing their nuptial flights around here (Missouri) and I'm having no luck. We have a patch of woods behind us that we dip into when possible and found a camponatus colony which I do not want to disturb too much. Any tips? We do have two kiddos so we mainly go on quick searches when we can.

Thank you! :D

MadVampy
Main Forum Admin

Re: Where to look?!

Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:36 pm

Keep any eye on that mound, a lot of ants do their nuptial flights right after a rain, usually it rains one day and if it's sunny and some what warm they will fly. You can always keep an eye on it and watch for them to start swarming out side the entrance of the nest, this is the workers making sure the area is clear of pests and dangers so the males can come out first and fly followed by the queens. if you see them swarming take something like a white sheet and place it layed out about 10' from the nest entrance and if they fly and mate you'll most likely see some of the queens on the sheet. Be ready though once they mate and land they shed their wings and go to finding a place to dig their den's and always have test tubes or containers ready because you never know when you find one.
MadVampy

Head Forum Admin
Name is also Mike but please don't confuse me with Mikey Bustos, two different people. :lol:
Keeper of Solenopsis Ants. :twisted:

Heather

Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:29 am

Thank you! I appreciate and welcome all advice! I have one more question if you could be so kind as to answer. What size test tubes are the best? And is glass or plastic better? Sorry, my one question morphed into two. :oops:

New2Ants

Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:07 pm

You've picked some very bold species of ants to look for. Can be more difficult than the more abundant species. The false honey pot ant was difficult for me to find, nuptial flight season is usually in the winter/ when it's cold, but even then, you will only see the workers! Camponotuc are easier, maybe later in the year, when it hotter. They love rotting wood, as u know! Of you have any rotting logs, pay close attention to them! I might find a hole in one of the logs! This is a new established queen camponotus wood chamber! It's much easier to look for these instead of looking for the queen camponotus ants, I'm my opinion, lol. Good luck and happy hunting! :D

MadVampy
Main Forum Admin

Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:19 pm

Heather wrote:Thank you! I appreciate and welcome all advice! I have one more question if you could be so kind as to answer. What size test tubes are the best? And is glass or plastic better? Sorry, my one question morphed into two. :oops:
I prefer plastic over glass any day. Two reasons, #1 plastic isn't going to break if dropped and #2 They are far more cheaper than glass.

Size..... Well here are some at the AntsCanada Web site to give you an idea,

http://www.AntsCanada.com/shop/ac-standard-test-tubes/
MadVampy

Head Forum Admin
Name is also Mike but please don't confuse me with Mikey Bustos, two different people. :lol:

ooper01
Head Moderator

Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:31 pm

Heather wrote:Thank you! I appreciate and welcome all advice! I have one more question if you could be so kind as to answer. What size test tubes are the best? And is glass or plastic better? Sorry, my one question morphed into two. :oops:
I prefer plastic over glass as well for the reasons mentioned by MadVampy. The one minor drawback from plastic, in my experience, is that it tends to get scratched much easier. If scratched alot, it can obscure the view. Not a huge issue usually though.
~ ooper

Forum Moderator

Heather

Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:19 am

Thanks! As far as picking bold ants to look for...these are what I have my eye on right now because they're flying here soon. That's the main reason. :) And I assumed plastic may mold quicker, but was a weary about getting glass and having it break with two little girls. :oops:

MadVampy
Main Forum Admin

Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:29 am

Heather wrote:Thanks! As far as picking bold ants to look for...these are what I have my eye on right now because they're flying here soon. That's the main reason. :) And I assumed plastic may mold quicker, but was a weary about getting glass and having it break with two little girls. :oops:
These are usually medical grade plastics, they only mild if you let something set too long in them (glass will do this also), just don't leave food in them two long. I usually remove the food after 2 days.
MadVampy

Head Forum Admin