A rant about the lack of info on ants here in Ireland....

General Off Topic Chat and Discussions

Moderator: ooper01

Hunter36o

A rant about the lack of info on ants here in Ireland....

Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:28 pm

Okay I want to begin with saying I do not blame anyone here and I do not intend to offend anyone part of this beautiful society. Second I apologise to any and all gramer nazis.

That said!! I am so bugged out by the lack of information on ants in Ireland! Now identify an ant and you can learn all about it of course but my problem is with the other important information. Our country is covered in Laius Niger, which is great because they will be my starter colony. Grand. But what about Roger? The Ghost ant? The Pavement ant? These are considered common "pest"..... I dont think that.... any way, I have not noticed any other ant except maybe a pavement ant. Not really sure where as I am not at the stage of experience of telling them apart off hand with out actually catching one and i feel off just taking a worker from it's colony.
There is no information that i can get my hands on about accurate information on areas where they may be or nuptial flight schedules around Ireland (excluding Lasius) and it down right sucks. I know i am only a beginner and i know i still have to catch my first niger queen. But i like to think ahead and in terms of ants. There is no end game!! But of course country if full as stupid people. And i do not doubt there are more ant lovers in the republic (i see posts here about the north, but that ain close one bit!) And i bet it is down to how other people are in our areas if i am honest. Like do not get me wrong, with Ireland being as small as she is the level of ass hats low in comparison to the whole population. But unfortunately the are also the loudest, more inhumane people alive. Oh and half, if not more of ireland is ruled by em. So out of the fact i know this place it does not surprise me there is not much to go by on information on ants in ireland besides the endless page results regardless of the terminology used, on pest controlle!!! It is soooo annoying and frustrating for me because i want that information soooooo bad!

If anyone out there (has even read this far. Thank you so much by the way❤) has any notion on information someone like us could really use for ants in their country. That would be amazing! I have been trying for two weeks. And the closest web page that gave basic info on what i need died on me too. Thus resorting to asking for help in the desperate as you have better things to do i am sure but please help me even for a minute??
Research is important before during and even after you have established a colony. There is always time to learn and to listen to others experiences. Live by this and your ants will thrive. Fail to do so and your experience may be brief.

Batspiderfish

Re: A rant about the lack of info on ants here in Ireland....

Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:35 pm

Have you looked at Antmaps yet? Ireland doesn't have the greatest ant diversity, but there are still plenty of interesting species to keep over there, particularly from Formica and Lasius.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

Hunter36o

Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:03 am

Yes lasius and tetramorium are very common to find if I walk around my area. But trying to find accurate information on nuptial flights is a nightmare for Dublin. Everything I look for anything i get either pest control for ireland or news information on the UK which can be inaccurate because although we are neighbouring countries we do not follow the same weather reports or anything like that. The UK can have a heat wave while Ireland snows in march. So I need Irish information on the areas. But the more I dig the more I feel no one in Ireland has a high enough interest to do that kind of research and I have a family to also care for and a full time job so I do not have that kind of time either. All I really want to know is an accurate time for other ants outside of lasius niger. Them I am catch for a fact half way through July to late July. I know this because all the pest sites that come up in my searches is from different years but the same months but only for the Lasius Niger.

Also why is there very little information on the roger ant? It is not a recent discovery so do people not like the little gals or are the an illusive breed?

Maybe in time myself and my son can improve the information in our country for ants. (Basic information as i am a home and kitchen designer (also studying 3D modelling) and not a scientist)
Research is important before during and even after you have established a colony. There is always time to learn and to listen to others experiences. Live by this and your ants will thrive. Fail to do so and your experience may be brief.

Batspiderfish

Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:33 pm

From what I've read on Hypoponera punctatissima, they seem to fly in August. Pest control sites are often devoid of usable information. When there is little data for your particular location, it is helpful to look for resources slightly outside of that scope.

http://www.bwars.com/category/taxonomic-hierarchy/ant/formicidae (use the side-menu to navigate)
http://www.ameisenforum.de/schwarmflug.php
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.