The Neon Nation Journal

General Off Topic Chat and Discussions

Moderator: ooper01

AntsDakota

The Neon Nation Journal

Sun May 20, 2018 4:23 pm

I caught a small colony of Lasius Neoniger with one queen. She was injured, so I hope she survives. The colony has no brood, yet the queen should start laying eggs soon (if she's not badly injured).
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25

idahoantgirl

Re: The Neon Nation Journal

Mon May 21, 2018 2:05 pm

If you caught her recently, she is probably lasius niger. Lasius Neoniger flies in the fall. I had a lasius neoniger queen with a missing antenna, and she raised a colony to 12 workers before I accidentally left their test tube in a sunlit window sil. :oops: :shock: :?
So there is hope :)
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile

AntsDakota

Mon May 21, 2018 4:55 pm

idahoantgirl wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 2:05 pm
If you caught her recently, she is probably lasius niger. Lasius Neoniger flies in the fall. I had a lasius neoniger queen with a missing antenna, and she raised a colony to 12 workers before I accidentally left their test tube in a sunlit window sil. :oops: :shock: :?
So there is hope :)
I found her in a claustral cell, so she probably mated last fall. Also, she is much bigger than the queen of my Lasius niger colony. I know this breaks the ant keeping rules, but I was uncertain that she would be able to found a colony due to her large, gaping, formally bleeding wound, so I introduced her to my Lasius niger colony. AntsCanada did it, so why can't I? Several workers sensed her and looked her over, but they just left her alone. If the colony doesn't accept her yet doesn't kill her, she will eventually develop the colony pheramone and the workers will take her as their own. The only thing that could stand in her way then was the current queen killing the new queen.
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25

AntsDakota

Mon May 21, 2018 5:03 pm

I will continue her story on the topic AntsDakota's Lasius niger Colony (need name suggestions). So, there will be no Neon Nation until this fall.

AntsDakota

Tue May 22, 2018 6:58 pm

The queen was dead the next morning.

AntsDakota

Tue May 22, 2018 7:02 pm

I caught a new one in her claustral cell! I put her in moist sand in a circular plastic container. It is decorated with rocks, pebbles, and sticks. Not as nice as AntsCanada's setups, but better than nothing. I am actually not sure if she is L. neoniger or Brachymyrmex depilis. I'll just have to wait until her first nanitics arrive.

antnest8

Wed May 23, 2018 2:04 pm

do you know the cause of death?
Some of My Informative Sheets
https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=19099
Includes :
  • Ant Care Sheets
    Queen Hunting
    How To Identify Ants
Goal is to become #2 poster on the forum

AntsDakota

Sat May 26, 2018 12:12 pm

antnest8 wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 2:04 pm
do you know the cause of death?
No, but I hope it wasn't the colony. Also, she didn't look more injured, like she was attacked.

AntsDakota

Sat May 26, 2018 12:16 pm

I did some thinking about the appearance of the new queen, and when I compared her with my Brachymyrmex queen. I then realized that she was a Brachymyrmex queen as well, so I paired the two. I thought their abdomens looked a little different, yet one was more pregnant that the other.

AntsDakota

Sat May 26, 2018 12:17 pm

Please reread this journal if it is starting to confuse you. (I'm starting to get a little confused myself!) :lol: