Mushroom Colony?

General Off Topic Chat and Discussions

Moderator: ooper01

New2Ants

Mushroom Colony?

Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:54 pm

Hey guys. So today,I saw a weird looking mushroom in my backyard. I noticed small holes on the top of it, so it took it into my garage and dissected it. It turns out that there was an entire colony of ants living inside of it! It even had some ant larvae. I took some of the ants out and placed them into a container to take a picture of them. It turns out that they couldn't even walk on a smooth surface without tripping! I decided to put them back on the mushroom, and the first thing they did was to cover themselves in as much dust (spores from the mushroom) as they could, and them climb back into the holes in the mushroom leading to the colony!
Have any of you guys ever come across something like this? I've never heard of it. Let me know what you guys think. :D

Rovvov99

Re: Mushroom Colony?

Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:59 am

New2Ants wrote:Hey guys. So today,I saw a weird looking mushroom in my backyard. I noticed small holes on the top of it, so it took it into my garage and dissected it. It turns out that there was an entire colony of ants living inside of it! It even had some ant larvae. I took some of the ants out and placed them into a container to take a picture of them. It turns out that they couldn't even walk on a smooth surface without tripping! I decided to put them back on the mushroom, and the first thing they did was to cover themselves in as much dust (spores from the mushroom) as they could, and them climb back into the holes in the mushroom leading to the colony!
Have any of you guys ever come across something like this? I've never heard of it. Let me know what you guys think. :D
I've never heard something like this , very interesting. The only specie that live in fungi that I know of are Atta and Acromyrmex from South-America, but that obviously isn't the case here. Could you take a picture of the ants so we can identify it ?

New2Ants

Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:47 am

I did take pictures of the ants and the mushroom. But for some reason, it's not letting me post them. :oops:

MadVampy
Main Forum Admin

Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:36 pm

New2Ants wrote:I did take pictures of the ants and the mushroom. But for some reason, it's not letting me post them. :oops:
Take a look on how to post pictures.

http://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=162
MadVampy

Head Forum Admin
Name is also Mike but please don't confuse me with Mikey Bustos, two different people. :lol:
Keeper of Solenopsis Ants. :twisted:

WillWithAnts

Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:56 pm

Another example of how young this hobby is. Amazing!

larynx

Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:42 pm

i found a colony like this last year i think it was, playing disc golf. at the time i just thought they were eating it or something, now after reading this i realize they were maybe likely living in it for a bit. here is the photo.
Forum Moderator
AntsCanada GAN Farmer

New2Ants

Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:42 pm

Cool! The mushroom that I found them in is a puffball mushroom. The ants seem to inhabit the powder inside of the mushroom. Pretty cool if you ask me. :D

AntsDakota

Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:24 pm

larynx wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:42 pm
i found a colony like this last year i think it was, playing disc golf. at the time i just thought they were eating it or something, now after reading this i realize they were maybe likely living in it for a bit. here is the photo.
To me those ants look like Ponera pennsylvanica, like my colony.
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25

AntDudeUSA

Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:56 pm

That odd moment when you realize this could be a new behavior of ants unknown to science :D :D
Keeper of
x1 Camponotus Penslyvanicus
x1 Formica Subscerica
x1 Tetramorium Caespitum
x1 Solenopsis Invicta
x1 Pheidole sp
x1 Dorymyrmex Bureni

AntsDakota

Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:14 pm

Yeah. I felt that way about my black Pheidole that I thought was Tetramorium. I'm hoping it's a new species. (they died, so I'm waiting to get more to test them.)
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25