The Shadow Empire Journal

General Off Topic Chat and Discussions

Moderator: ooper01

AntsDakota

The Shadow Empire Journal

Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:40 pm

Formica argentea is very plentiful in my area. So I intend to keep them when their nuptial flights happen. I have caught many queens of that species, and am sure I can do it again this year. So I plan to use a black light trap to catch queens of all species. What I intend to do is place a black light into a container, and coat the edge with baby powder. The queens will fly right to the black light and into the container. Hopefully males will be attracted into the trap as well and mate. Hope you this give some of you some ideas! :D
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25

AntsDakota

Re: The Shadow Empire Journal

Sun May 06, 2018 3:33 pm

Late May/early June is right around the corner. That means that Formica argentea are flying soon!
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25

AntsDakota

Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:17 pm

The species I was talking about is actually F. montana. Sorry for the wrong id. :oops: I caught a Formica montana queen and another Formica queen that appears to be either Formica fusca or a parasitic Formica queen.

AntsDakota

Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:04 pm

I caught another Formica queen of a different species. I am getting really confused with Formica now.

AntsDakota

Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:49 pm

The F.montana queen has 3 eggs!