Ponera P. Experts!!! Help!!!

General Off Topic Chat and Discussions

Moderator: ooper01

New2Ants

Ponera P. Experts!!! Help!!!

Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:29 pm

So today, I opened the skimmer in my pool and found a Ponera Pennsylvanica queen. I need information on how to keep her. Is this species fully or semi claustral? What do they eat. I know that their colonies don't get very big. Any information on the species will help. Thanks. :D

Gregory2455

Re: Ponera P. Experts!!! Help!!!

Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:34 am

Well, do not abbreviate species names in titles and only abbreviate in text after the full species name was mentioned once, and when abbreviating then, you abbreviate the genus name, not the species name. (Example: Pheidole gilvescens - P.gilvescens)

As for the topic at hand I am rather sure queens of this species are semi-clausteral hunters, and that colonies of this species tend to be either small, or slow growing (I forget which.)

New2Ants

Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:23 am

Thanks. You learn something new every day. I really appreciate your input. Thanks! :D

New2Ants

Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:55 pm

Yup. I collected what information I could. I know they can be difficult to raise and their colonies don't get very big, but to me, this is the challenging fun in ant keeping that makes this hobby so great! Thanks for all your help everyone! :D

AntsDakota

Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:27 pm

Gregory2455 wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:34 am
Well, do not abbreviate species names in titles and only abbreviate in text after the full species name was mentioned once, and when abbreviating then, you abbreviate the genus name, not the species name. (Example: Pheidole gilvescens - P.gilvescens)

As for the topic at hand I am rather sure queens of this species are semi-clausteral hunters, and that colonies of this species tend to be either small, or slow growing (I forget which.)
They are small. I keep them. The queens are barely larger than a Lasius worker.
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25