ants holding a queen down?!

General Off Topic Chat and Discussions

Moderator: ooper01

daxling12

ants holding a queen down?!

Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:12 pm

so i recently had a colony overheat due to the test tube moving anyways as all that was left was the queen and about 2 workers and the test tube was way overdue for a change that i would brood boost the other colony and feed them the queen well.. they didn't fight ... they took the brood with the other workers back to the main nest and wierdest thing ive seen yet they got the queen and held her down .. i thought at first they just weren't sure whether to eat her but now a day later they got her still held down and they are keeping her alive i didn't get them identified but the original queen that they are holding down is tetramorium i can also guarantee that the species i have are polygenus and surprisingly have not had a single queen die/killed by workers in a multi queen colony i also found them trying to nest together in about the same size groups i got them in

YSTheAnt

Re: ants holding a queen down?!

Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:59 pm

They may be accepting of the tetramorium queen. Try to get her out and let her re found her colony with some food. Feeding a queen ant to a colony isn't really right dude... Especially when it can still found a colony. But that is just my opinion.
Check out my blog: bayareaants.blogspot.com
Keeper of:
Camponotus Modoc(6 workers)
Pheidole Spp (2 queens, about 10 workers)
Possibly parasitic Formica (further ID required)
Novomessor Cockerelli (10+ workers)