color ants?

General Off Topic Chat and Discussions

Moderator: ooper01

Rovvov99

Re: color ants?

Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:37 pm

Yes they can, but you won't see it as clearly with every specie.

MadVampy
Main Forum Admin

Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:15 pm

Yes they do and that picture isn't touched up either. you can see this for sure in honeypot ants. or any ant that their abdomen is simi translucent.
MadVampy

Head Forum Admin
Name is also Mike but please don't confuse me with Mikey Bustos, two different people. :lol:
Keeper of Solenopsis Ants. :twisted:

NashAUS

Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:34 am

is it safe for them tho? what kind of dye do people use? i saw that some universities paint their ants to tell them apart.. is this a practice anyone else has tried? i can't see them loving it.. but if i'm wrong it would be cool to do!

MadVampy
Main Forum Admin

Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:07 am

NashAUS wrote:is it safe for them tho? what kind of dye do people use? i saw that some universities paint their ants to tell them apart.. is this a practice anyone else has tried? i can't see them loving it.. but if i'm wrong it would be cool to do!
Regular food safe dyes are fine. You know the kind you add to food to change the color of cakes, drinks or what ever else you want. Most of the dyes are plant organic based.
MadVampy

Head Forum Admin
Name is also Mike but please don't confuse me with Mikey Bustos, two different people. :lol:

MadVampy
Main Forum Admin

Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:54 pm

Thats still up in the air about the glow in the dark food coloring, I do know that most any liquid with vitamin B will show up under black light. Well I haven't tried it my self but a friend who has says it works.

Also the ingredient to make glowing food (mostly drinks and other water based foods) is tonic water it contains quinine, and the quinine glows when exposed to black light.
MadVampy

Head Forum Admin

antkeeperlevi

Sun Aug 30, 2015 3:12 pm

that is such a cool picture! ;)